Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lightweight flywheel benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lightweight flywheel benefits?

Like the title says what are the benefits? SPecifically to a daily driven street car that will see the track often?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I was having this same discussion today.....the only benefit I see is that it drops about 20 lbs. Im running aluminum now and it is much lighter. Will your car rev faster? sure with it in neutral, but who cares? With it in gear I dont see accelerating a 3400lb car vs a 3380 lb car making much difference unless you race.
On the negative your car will require much more finesse to get it going from a stand still. You have to bring the RPMs up much higher when stopped on a hill. I havent stalled a car in 10 years but did when I first got aluminum. Not sure I would do it again. Its not unbearable...but noticeably more difficult to start moving.
Daily Driver = NO
Streep Strip = Sure
Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good info saved me a few bucks, thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

I literally noticed no difference going from an ls6 clutchd stock flywheel to a 15lb flywheel w/ a diamond stage 2 clutch. I use very little gas to start, absolutely no more than 1500 rpm if starting on an incline. If I was getting a new flywheel I would definately go with a lighter one, it could only help.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so one yes, one no. anyone else? any vendors with some info?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Banned

It does help with acceleration but does hurt getting a heavy vehicle from a dead stop to a rolling speed especially one with soft torque to begin with. I have absolutely seen them improve performance though. I use to sponsor a circle track racer who would cheat his *** off and he ran a lightened flywheel for years. He avoided getting caught by running a heavy flywheel until they checked flywheels out at the track which was usually early in the season. After that, he would swap it out of his lighter flywheel and kick some *** the rest of the season. He also had a lightened clutch pressure plate he would swap out depending on the track and who was racing him that event.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
so one yes, one no. anyone else? any vendors with some info?
Fwiw.. I am very particular to say the least with what goes on my car and the slightest changes in drivetrain components, exhaust, etc. Anything to do with noise, vibration I am a stickler. Like I said I couldn't tell a difference with my 15lb flywheel (14lbs 10oz to be exact) in any way shape or form with daily driving.

Aside from the point made above with the loss of extra weight you miss out on some inertia from getting that stock heavy flywheel going off the line, but if you're like me you're not doing any 6k side steps anytime soon, so I can just launch at a higher rpm to compensate for this.

To sum it up, lighter = faster.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VincesSS
Fwiw.. I am very particular to say the least with what goes on my car and the slightest changes in drivetrain components, exhaust, etc. Anything to do with noise, vibration I am a stickler. Like I said I couldn't tell a difference with my 15lb flywheel (14lbs 10oz to be exact) in any way shape or form with daily driving.

Aside from the point made above with the loss of extra weight you miss out on some inertia from getting that stock heavy flywheel going off the line, but if you're like me you're not doing any 6k side steps anytime soon, so I can just launch at a higher rpm to compensate for this.

To sum it up, lighter = faster.
How much did your Diamond clutch weigh?

If it's heavier than OEM, then you're offsetting the weight loss from the flywheel.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I've in the past with old school chevys had lightweight flywheels on my setups and really could tell a difference when driving the car over a heavy 30# flywheel. It just seemed more responsive all through the rpm range.

So on my LSx swap into my 79 Z28, I opted for an Xact pro lite billet flywheel which is supposed to weigh like 12# or so. I don't have it running or driving yet, so I cannot comment on how it works, but I am sure its gonna only help with acceleration. If the car is geared right, it will take off the line under normal driving just fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We discussed it some in this thread. I love mine and really wish I would have gone with the aluminum one to make it even lighter.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may also want to consider most aftermarket clutch/pressure plate combos are heavier than stock. I'm in the middle of installing a Monster level 1 with a 18# flywheel and the assembled pp/clutch disc/fw is only 4#s lighter than the stock assembly, if I had gone with the 28# flywheel it would have been 6#s heavier than stock. just something to think about I can't comment on actual performance benefits at this moment.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

I have a lightweight flywheel in my car now and I would never buy one again. It hurts you from a dig and drag racing. Not worth it imo
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After mine was installed it felt like it revved faster through the gears but the biggest difference I can feel is when I bang 2nd gear the tires chirp instead of breaking loose.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FST SS
After mine was installed it felt like it revved faster through the gears but the biggest difference I can feel is when I bang 2nd gear the tires chirp instead of breaking loose.
Wait what the car didn't break loose after you installed the light weight flywheel or it did?

Less weight on the drive train is always a Plus IMO. It's like discussing the benefits of a light weight pulley IMO.

Originally Posted by jetaws6
I have a lightweight flywheel in my car now and I would never buy one again. It hurts you from a dig and drag racing. Not worth it imo
How so? any track times to back that up or just butt dyno talking?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The_One
How much did your Diamond clutch weigh?

If it's heavier than OEM, then you're offsetting the weight loss from the flywheel.
I wish I would have weighed it. It's likely to be a few lbs heavier than stock, so it's roughly 5-10lbs lighter as a whole I would bet.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adamantium
How so? any track times to back that up or just butt dyno talking?
Talk to anyone who has a pretty full weight car that can hook at the track it causes the car to tend to bog down more because its light weight. The heavier fly wheel helps keep the motor spinning off the line because of the centrifugal force. I learn this after I bought mine....
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetaws6
Talk to anyone who has a pretty full weight car that can hook at the track it causes the car to tend to bog down more because its light weight. The heavier fly wheel helps keep the motor spinning off the line because of the centrifugal force. I learn this after I bought mine....
I think it's safe to say everyone understands the concept, we were interested in actual results which you gave your opinion on, but now are referring to what other people say.

It's safe to say that the initial energy stored in the heavier flywheel will provide more stored energy upon launch and make the car hit harder on gear shifts, BUUUUT, is this enough to compensate for the extra energy that the engine uses to spin the heavier flywheel while accelerating???

I wish someone had back to back testing. I'll go back to the track as soon as our 1/8th opens (which would likely be more advantagious to a heavier flywheel) and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've used a Fidanza LS2 13lb flywheel on my LS7 clutch for about 6 years. First 4 years were with a built LS1, last 2 years with a built LS3. RPM's climb faster but also fall faster, you might need to work on the idle tune especially if you're cammed. Just like anything, you'd get used to it on the street. Don't have any hills near me so I can't say how much effort on hills.

Interesting info here, especially in the PDFs:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VincesSS
I think it's safe to say everyone understands the concept, we were interested in actual results which you gave your opinion on, but now are referring to what other people say.

It's safe to say that the initial energy stored in the heavier flywheel will provide more stored energy upon launch and make the car hit harder on gear shifts, BUUUUT, is this enough to compensate for the extra energy that the engine uses to spin the heavier flywheel while accelerating???

I wish someone had back to back testing. I'll go back to the track as soon as our 1/8th opens (which would likely be more advantagious to a heavier flywheel) and see what happens.
Exactly what i was thinking. I don't care about opinion, track results don't lie. I heard this myth all the time when my buddy had his all motor h2b civic. Car was actually very very responsive with a light weight flywheel and drove great very daily drivable and street able.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I'm getting my monster lvl 2 w/ 18lb flywheel installed in the morning. I'll find out soon how it is.

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel benefits?