Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Well this sucks.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Well this sucks.

I just bought my 98 Z28, the guy said "fresh engine and new transmission!". Well i was modest on the test drive and drove it easy. That was my mistake!
A few days of babying it after work i decide to see what shes got... Shift into 1st and gave her some gas.. then i shift into 2nd and thought this is fun!, big smile on my face!

Shift into 3rd... SCRATCH! My smile falls off.. then I shift into 4th and once again SCRATCHES! Im depressed at this point.. then i shift into 5th..SCRATCH.. and then 6th scratched as well.

I thought.. well maybe my clutch is having disengagment issues.. so i replaced the master cylinder and flushed/bled the old black fluid out. The pedal became more firm. But... the issue remains.

Apparently, the gears only scratch if i shift fast.. if i shift like a grandma.. everything is good. None of the gears pop out.. they just scratch when I shift fast.. dosent matter if im at 2000RPM or 6000rpm.

I texted the guy i bought the car from and he swears up and down that the transmission has never grinded for him! Well im pissed at this point... as anyone would be.

Does anyone have any thought of whats next? Im thinking rebuild
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New trans with an old clutch/pressure plate?
This is something you can verify.
I don't normally comment like this, but that guy is a lyin' sack!
Hope you can resolve this without costing too much.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have verified that the clutch is releasing properly the only real option left is a transmission issue. I would say your trans probably needs a rebuild with new synchro rings and possibly a few gears and synchronizer assemblies. Our basic rebuild package is $645.00 plus shipping and plus any gears or synchro assembles. We won't have any way of knowing the full extent of the damage till the transmission is torn down and inspected. If you have any questions at all feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And basically whatever work it needed, by driving it like that, could have done even more damage.

Hydraulics are #1 on the list after you pull everything.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Snap-On
I just bought my 98 Z28, the guy said "fresh engine and new transmission!". Well i was modest on the test drive and drove it easy. That was my mistake!
A few days of babying it after work i decide to see what shes got... Shift into 1st and gave her some gas.. then i shift into 2nd and thought this is fun!, big smile on my face!

Shift into 3rd... SCRATCH! My smile falls off.. then I shift into 4th and once again SCRATCHES! Im depressed at this point.. then i shift into 5th..SCRATCH.. and then 6th scratched as well.

I thought.. well maybe my clutch is having disengagment issues.. so i replaced the master cylinder and flushed/bled the old black fluid out. The pedal became more firm. But... the issue remains.

Apparently, the gears only scratch if i shift fast.. if i shift like a grandma.. everything is good. None of the gears pop out.. they just scratch when I shift fast.. dosent matter if im at 2000RPM or 6000rpm.

I texted the guy i bought the car from and he swears up and down that the transmission has never grinded for him! Well im pissed at this point... as anyone would be.

Does anyone have any thought of whats next? Im thinking rebuild
Definitely, sounds like transmission issues. As Jeremy said, it probably is your synchronizers. The engagement teeth on them are probably worn down. Did he say who built he trans, because the trans could have been rebuilt and someone could have reused the sychronizer assemblies when they clearly needed replacing. It is hard to tell you exactly what it is without a tear down and examination of the internals. If you are looking for a rebuild check out our rebuilds that we offer:

Tick Performance T56 Builds for your 98-02 Fbody
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Well in a strange turn of events... the problem has changed.

I noticed my clutch was starting to feel spongey so I re-bled the hydraulics. Alot of air came out of the system. The pedal is a whole lot more firm than it ever has been before. Now every gear is very smooth. Going WOT and shifting fast, 4th gear still scratches, but EVERY other gear is smooth now.

How strange is that? What are my options now? Should I drain the trans fluid and refill with detron3?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Very Strange. Your "scratching" going to forth could still be the synchronizer the teeth may just be a little worn. However if the fluid change helped it out that is awesome!! A Tick Master Cylinder would help your high rpm shifts .
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
Very Strange. Your "scratching" going to forth could still be the synchronizer the teeth may just be a little worn. However if the fluid change helped it out that is awesome!! A Tick Master Cylinder would help your high rpm shifts .
Im defintely going to buy the tick MC, speaking of are you guys having any sales on them anytime soon?!

Anyway, I drained the fluid last night and it came out brown with glittery sparkles so it definetely has some wear! After I drained and refilled the fluid the problems is now worse than ever, it grinds all gears again besides 1st and 2nd... Im just going to bite the bullet and do a rebuild.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Yea that seems like it maybe your best option to just go ahead and do a rebuild, that way one can see exactly what is wrong when it is torn down. After all if it is something broken flying around inside the trans it can cause a lot of damage to the rest of the internals.

As far as the clutch masters, no sale coming anytime soon.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 03-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am having the same issues as you. It only gets hard to shift when I am gunning it. But when I drive like I am trying to save gas, shifts fine. What did you end up doing or find out? If you had to get it rebuilt, where did you send it and what was the estimated cost? Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk#317
I think I am having the same issues as you. It only gets hard to shift when I am gunning it. But when I drive like I am trying to save gas, shifts fine. What did you end up doing or find out? If you had to get it rebuilt, where did you send it and what was the estimated cost? Thanks
If its only when your gunning it then is could be something as simple as your clutch hydraulics... Do you have the factory GM Clutch Master Cylinder? If so I would start with one of our Tick Performance Master Cylinders because the GM master is Notorious for failure at high RPM shifting!!! Here is the link to the Tick Master Cylinder:
Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder

As Far as rebuilds, we do thousands of T56 Rebuilds for all power levels!! Check out some of our rebuilds:
Tick Performance T56 Rebuilds for Your 93-02 Fbody
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk#317

I went ahead and dissasembled the trans myself.. so far I found that the bearings in the stock pilot bearing self destoryed themselves and wore deep groves in the snout of the input shaft.

Oh and btw... the trans is NOT new. It was covered in oil from a rear main seal leak and the clutch is very worn. Probably the stock clutch. trans dosent look like its ever been apart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well this sucks.