Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3-4 synchro upgraded springs... install question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3-4 synchro upgraded springs... install question!

I am using 3-4 billet keys and upgraded springs from the gear box and need some help. The springs have a "hook" or "tang" on each end, while the stock springs only had the hook on one end. Am I supposed to put the hook around the 1st and 3rd keys? If I do this, then the middle 2nd key doesn't get much of any spring pressure on the back of it. Or I can rest the hook on the back of the 3rd key and then this will give some pressure on the middle key. It's almost like the spring is too short. I tried both ways and there was no difference in the slider motion.

I'm leaning towards the first way, so the spring can't rotate and totally release from the 3rd key. Hopefully someone has done this and will have the answer. I emailed the gear box and got an auto reply saying he won't be back for a week.

Here are some pics of the first way I described, with the spring hooks around the 1st and 3rd keys. If you look closely you can see the spring isn't resting on the back of the middle key. I have the springs winding in opposite directions so the middle key on one side isn't the same as the middle key on the other side. So, one key gets spring pressure from both ends, and the other two keys only get spring pressure from one end.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell by your pics, but I remember when I did my transmission the keys had slots in them that the end of the spring goes in. I don't remember the end of the spring going all the way around the keys like that.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jbruder
I can't tell by your pics, but I remember when I did my transmission the keys had slots in them that the end of the spring goes in. I don't remember the end of the spring going all the way around the keys like that.
These are billet keys, they don't have slots, so the spring goes over them.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they hook around the keys edges.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thesource
Yes, they hook around the keys edges.
Thanks! Is it a problem that the spring doesn't apply much pressure on the back of the middle key?

The pictures on the gear box's site show green 3-4 springs.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Thanks! Is it a problem that the spring doesn't apply much pressure on the back of the middle key?

The pictures on the gear box's site show green 3-4 springs.
You wrap the other side spring in the opposite direction and it will equalize the pressure on all 3 springs.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
You wrap the other side spring in the opposite direction and it will equalize the pressure on all 3 springs.
If I wrap the the springs in opposite directions, then two of the keys have less pressure on one end than the other, if that makes sense.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, here is a corny illustration I made. I labeled the keys 1, 2, and 3 on both sides of the synchro. I just flipped the synchro over between the two pictures. Key 1 on one side is the same as key 1 on the other side, etc. In these pictures you can see how the spring sits on the keys.

On side 1, the spring starts on key 1 and ends on key 3, giving good spring pressure on these keys on this side. Key 2 doesn't get much pressure at all.

On side 2, keys 2 and 3 get good pressure, and 1 does not.

So, key 3 is the only one with good pressure from the springs on both sides. Keys 1 and 2 only have good pressure on one side. When they sit in the housing, the stronger pressure on one end rotates the key. You can see this in the pictures, the middle key has a gap between it and the housing.

If the springs were just a tad longer this wouldn't be an issue. The upgraded 1-2 springs have hooks on both ends and sit perfectly, even pressure all around. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

The size of the arrows in this picture indicate the amount of spring pressure.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

And if you net sum the force on both sides, they are equal. Remember the keys are working together, not independently.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real solution would be to use the proper billet keys with the slots milled in them. This would, then, allow you to use the proper spring as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, here is a corny illustration I made. I labeled the keys 1, 2, and 3 on both sides of the synchro. I just flipped the synchro over between the two pictures. Key 1 on one side is the same as key 1 on the other side, etc. In these pictures you can see how the spring sits on the keys.

On side 1, the spring starts on key 1 and ends on key 3, giving good spring pressure on these keys on this side. Key 2 doesn't get much pressure at all.

On side 2, keys 2 and 3 get good pressure, and 1 does not.

So, key 3 is the only one with good pressure from the springs on both sides. Keys 1 and 2 only have good pressure on one side. When they sit in the housing, the stronger pressure on one end rotates the key. You can see this in the pictures, the middle key has a gap between it and the housing.

If the springs were just a tad longer this wouldn't be an issue. The upgraded 1-2 springs have hooks on both ends and sit perfectly, even pressure all around. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

The size of the arrows in this picture indicate the amount of spring pressure.
On side 2 take the spring off and run it from "1" to "3" in the opposite direction from side 1. So if side one spring makes a backwards "C" then Side 2 should be a regular "C". Key "2" should be middle on both sides. This should equalize the pressure on the springs making them seat correctly.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 03-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
On side 2 take the spring off and run it from "1" to "3" in the opposite direction from side 1. So if side one spring makes a backwards "C" then Side 2 should be a regular "C". Key "2" should be middle on both sides. This should equalize the pressure on the springs making them seat correctly.
I thought winding the springs in opposite directions made it so gap in the spring on one side wasn't lined up with the gap in the spring on the other side, essentially making the synchro assembly more balanced. I am winding them like the manual shows, opposite directions so the gap between the start and end of the two springs are offset. Check out the picture.

If I wind it like you said, then yes, the middle key is the same on both sides. But this key will virtually no spring pressure on it, and it will flop around in it's groove because there is nothing pushing on the back of it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

OP,

Call your vendor with your measuring caliper in hand so you can make sure you've the right springs. The gap at the middle key isn't correct.

And as usual, what calhoon said but I digress.

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
Nope.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmd
OP,

Call your vendor with your measuring caliper in hand so you can make sure you've the right springs. The gap at the middle key isn't correct.
The Gear Box is where I got the parts, and he's gone for a week. Was hoping someone on here would have an answer. Sounds like I'll be waiting for a week.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

The Gear Box is where I got the parts, and he's gone for a week. Was hoping someone on here would have an answer. Sounds like I'll be waiting for a week.
I believe Matt provided your answer, abet in a subtle way.. It appears you have a 5-6 or Rev spring set on the 3-4 synchro. When you order them, you have to specify which ones you want because the keys are the same, but the springs are different.

If you ordered 3-4 and 5-6 billet keys, make sure you're using the correct set.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
I believe Matt provided your answer, abet in a subtle way.. It appears you have a 5-6 or Rev spring set on the 3-4 synchro. When you order them, you have to specify which ones you want because the keys are the same, but the springs are different.

If you ordered 3-4 and 5-6 billet keys, make sure you're using the correct set.
It's the Stage 2 kit, which comes with stock 5-6/reverse keys and springs, and 1-2 and 3-4 billet keys and upgraded springs. These springs were in the bag labeled 3-4 which also had the 3-4 billet keys. There was another bag with the 5-6/reverse stock keys and springs. Perhaps he gave me upgraded 5-6/reverse springs on accident? These aren't stock springs since they have a hook on both ends. And as mentioned, his website shows green 3-4 springs.

Consider this thread on hold until I can get in contact the the gear box. What a bummer
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kevin from TGB got a hold of me and said the springs should be green, and I probably got 5-6/reverse springs. He's going to send me the right springs next week since TGB is closed this week.

Quick Reply: 3-4 synchro upgraded springs... install question!