Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 problems?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 problems?

Ive been reading through some old post before I posted. I found it to be a consistant problem though, but couldnt find a consistant solution.

I just installed a spec stage 3 clutch in my 01 camaro with oem flywheel, and it has the low clutch engagment like most Ive read about. It will shift through all the gears with a little force, and you REALLY have to coax it in reverse. There were NO problems before the install. I HAVE installed the shim which was .115. My A measurement was 2.69, and the B was 2.3 . I know thats not in the 1.75 to 2.5 range, but it was 2.75. I figured I could have made a .25 mistake in measuring and put it back together since the shim was made for the fbody's. Will the Tick master solve my problems?? Thanx for any help
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes an adjustable mc should be able to help you out, I had to do the same with my last SPEC because the supplied shim was not enough
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Hey use, I replied to your PM's. Was your OE flywheel resurfaced? Had it been cut previously? If so, do you know how much was removed or what the thickness of your flywheel is now? I ask because flywheels thickness will impact clutch geometry. It's possible that you could have a hydraulic related issue as well (weak or faulty slave or master) but you already indicate that the measurment was outside of the specified range. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Teching In

No my flywheel was not resurfaced. I just put a good rolok to it. I dont really believe in resurfacing, I would just get a new flywheel if it needed it. The car only has 45k miles, so Im sure its never been previously either.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Also, this thread is not meant to be a RANT on SPEC products... I just know it was a common problem, and was just wondering what the common solution was. Most of the threads I looked up never had an answer on thier solution. I have put a spec in most every mustang Ive had and always had good luck with them. I live close to birmingham too is also another reason for my support.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by uselessracing
Also, this thread is not meant to be a RANT on SPEC products... I just know it was a common problem, and was just wondering what the common solution was. Most of the threads I looked up never had an answer on thier solution. I have put a spec in most every mustang Ive had and always had good luck with them. I live close to birmingham too is also another reason for my support.
My solution was to remove the clutch and replace with a Monster but I think you'll get it with a Tick MC. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

No worries at all use! If you need us to take a look let me know and I will be happy to help.

meal...Having the proper spacing, which we supply instruction for is imperative. So too is having a slave and master that function properly. You can find instances of people posting similar questions for every clutch manufacture that takes part on these forums. Ineffective stock hydraulics (worn, weak, or leaking) or incorrect spacing relative to install are the most common issues.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

I think Im going to try and get a master cylinder first, and if that dont work Ill give you a call. It will be a slow go though because I work out of town, and Im leaving right now. I should be back in about 3 weeks and Ill get back on it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Just keep me posted and I will be happy to assist you any way I can. Thanks and be careful while your out of town.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spec 3 problems?