Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ZO6...two failed Spec3...what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 CU
If going to Ram 910 or McLeod single or twin do they need any hydraulics upgrade? ... i understand twin need adjustable master otherwise clutch ingagement is at top of pedal travel?
Is this the only problem coming from not using the adjustable master?
Old 03-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C5 CU
I have a H/C - ZO6, modest torque at 400rwtq. I have fried two Spec3. The second one after 500 mile breakin and first trip to strip, clutch failed on 3rd pass with 45 minutes between runs....I am considering RAM 910, McLeod single or twin and Exedy twin (which has a price tag of $1550 - ouch)...Car is my daily driver and i go to track up to twice per month...what clutch do you guys recommend for my set-up, what are positve/negative....thanks.
I have less power and torque then you (350rwhp/365rwtq), but I've been very happy with my Cartek clutch. Sticks great for me. I know other people pushing way more power then me and having no problems, plus it's been great for me for daily driving (drive the car everyday). No chatter problems either.

Chris
Old 03-25-2004, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are doing a lot of launching on the aluminum fly wheel...that could be part of your clutch demise....thats a lot of stress for the clutch to take up

and when you go stage 3 you need to have an adjustable master cylinder, and you need to do the drill mod as well...If you dont do the drill mod you will have some serious premature wear on the clutches
Old 03-25-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Definatly get an adjustable master cylinder. You can dial in you engagement point and make sure that the clutch is operating properly. You can literally make it to where the clutch is engaging/disengaging fully or even too much or you can make it to where it is barely engaging/disengaging at all. I have been in the boat where it was not engaging/disengaging fully and the adjustable master cured that with a few twists of my wrist. Your clutches may be going because they are not engaging/disengaging fully causing a shitload of stress on your clutch. Most people also do the drill mod to the master cylinder line, get the adjustable master cylinder, and get the updated 01/02 slave cylinder. I agree with the others you should not be smoking that clutch like that. Plenty of people use spec 3 with more power without issues it seems.

Quick Reply: ZO6...two failed Spec3...what next?