Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Im looking for a STIFF clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im looking for a STIFF clutch.

Im currently rebuilding the transmission in my 98 Z28 and while its out I think its the perfect time to get a good clutch. Ive searched but cant get the exact answer Im looking for.. most people like to have a soft clutch with good holding power. Im looking for an extremely stiff clutch.. I HATE a soft clutch. I like to really feel the clutch if that makes sense.

Anyway Im upgrading the master to a Tick unit and an OEM slave cylinder. My budget is around $400 for the clutch. I resurfaced my flywheel while I was at work the other day so I will run it.

Im stuck between Spec and ACT clutches.. does anyone have any better options?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our Monster Level 2, and Tick Master has a pretty firm pedal. No clutch return spring, but it feels much better than the stock mushy setup did.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My Monster 11 inch race clutch is stiff. I like you prefer a firm clutch pedal.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you could just buy a master cylinder with a large bore. That will stiffen it up. Tick should give you that.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tick MC will stiffen it up quite a bit, mine did.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our kits will be slightly stiffer than stock, but not excessively so! That being said the feel and engagement will be very possitive. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Our kits will be slightly stiffer than stock, but not excessively so! That being said the feel and engagement will be very possitive. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
LOL, not to be a jackass but I agree with the stiff portion. I have been running a Spec stage 2 and it chatters horribly. Try contacting Spec and didnt really recieve any customer service.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wasn't happy with my spec stage2 either. Had the monster stage 3 with lightweight flywheel for a few years now. made the stock mc adjustable with coupler nut. Little over $400 for this setup though. Also many are sold as a set with flywheel. one difference on monster's pressure plates is they are not self adjusting like factory type. If you unbolt & rebolt a factory & most ls plates, they won't work right without a clutch shop resetting them.
My crankshaft freeze plug is once again leaking on my clutch. It chatters a little because of it, But still grips harder than stock. That says something for the brand.

Quick Reply: Im looking for a STIFF clutch.