Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Rebuild questions

I pulled the t-56 out of my cobra because it was making some whining noises in the upper 3 gears, and was grinding 5th gear really badly during engagement. I assumed a bearing was going bad, and I was able to get an astonishing deal on a used t-56 with 49k on it, but was interested in getting my old one rebuilt. I called a local transmission repair shop (because I have never attempted to disassemble a trans before and wouldn't even know where to begin) and they quoted me at $2500 to repair it. That wasn't with removal from the vehicle, re-installation, or anything. Just; set it in front of you, you rebuild it, and give it back. That seemed outrageous to me?

Is this normal?

If not, where should I take it for rebuild?

Lastly, since it has been replaced, and I'm not dying to have it back in working order, is there a process anywhere for me to attempt a rebuild myself?

Thanks for any help in this matter!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the sponsors, rebuilds start at like $700 with upgraded and new parts, some include shipping both ways too. Any mom and pop place that doesn't specialize in T56's will way overcharge you.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Check the sponsors, rebuilds start at like $700 with upgraded and new parts, some include shipping both ways too. Any mom and pop place that doesn't specialize in T56's will way overcharge you.
That makes sense then. I looked under the sponsors and TICKshift.com offers a factor rebuild for about $1100, plus $200 there and back shipping. That is much better than my original quote, but still seems expensive for a factor refresh. Even if it were something I wanted to have fixed and re-sell, I don't really see myself making a great deal of profit on that. I think that It would be a stretch to assume I could get more than $1600-1700 even with it being rebuilt. Oh well, guess I'll just use it as a big paper weight or something. lol Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you know just about every rebuild shop out there will buy your old unit from you and pay for shipping.