Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get transmission out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get transmission out

So i have removed all 8 15mm bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing i am trying to get the tranny to move so i can loosen the 2 10mm bolts to the slave but for some reason i cant get the tranny to move at all any help/suggestions?
thanks
Ean
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wannabfast
So i have removed all 8 15mm bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing i am trying to get the tranny to move so i can loosen the 2 10mm bolts to the slave but for some reason i cant get the tranny to move at all any help/suggestions?
thanks
Ean
Double check and make sure you have all bolts out.. i thought i did but the upper right bolt was hidden and still in. If you are sure they have all been removed, take some rust penetrent and spray all around the edges of the bellhousing. The dowel pins become seized and makes removal pretty touch. Just work with it.. it'll come loose.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IamSam
Double check and make sure you have all bolts out.. i thought i did but the upper right bolt was hidden and still in. If you are sure they have all been removed, take some rust penetrent and spray all around the edges of the bellhousing. The dowel pins become seized and makes removal pretty touch. Just work with it.. it'll come loose.
Exactly as this he states. I use a pry bar of some sort and gently try to pry it apart.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1, but my prying wasn't that gentle. my dowels were pretty corroded. try and some pb blaster on those first
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

ok thanks ill try tonight when i get home from school and work. I used a pry bar and couldnt get it to budge, and i also shook the SH** out of it trying to get it to break loose. I will keep you guys posted. thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Teching In

I found it to be easier when I had a friend push (well more like kick) the tail shaft of the tranny towards the driver side of the car, it separated the tranny from the bell housing enough to get my prybar in.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM

If your dowel pins are corroded (like mine were) it's extremely difficult to get the trans out. My Transmission to bell housing dowels weren't as bad as my bell housing to engine dowels. If you are SURE you have the bolts out, do as AMS13 said (if your trans is secure on a good jack)... Kick the tail shaft. When you get it off, hit those dowels with a little sand paper and finish them with anti-seize before reinstall!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

i kicked the hell out of the tailshaft and it still wouldnt seperate at all to get a pry bar in. Any thing i can do?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i remember when i took out my auto to install the converter i took off the starter and the other inspection cover on the other side to get some good pry points. been a long time though lol.. when i did the t56 swap it was on the floor on the kmember.. pretty easy, and nice slots right beside the dowels, though i dont think you can cleanly get to them in the car.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

also it helps to keep the trans neutrally supported.. if all the weight is only the dowels either from the weight hanging or the jack pushing up it will make it very hard to come off.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
also it helps to keep the trans neutrally supported.. if all the weight is only the dowels either from the weight hanging or the jack pushing up it will make it very hard to come off.
Man no joke i have tried everything. everything went super smooth until this point. Just a little irritated because i thought i could have this out and back in, in no time.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An easy trick, hook the clutch line back into the slave. Push the clutch pedal and the slave should push the trans off of the dowels seperating the trans from the bellhousing.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
An easy trick, hook the clutch line back into the slave. Push the clutch pedal and the slave should push the trans off of the dowels seperating the trans from the bellhousing.
THIS^^^ If you have two people and it still doesn't come off, try this AND kick the tail shaft... If it STILL doesn't come off, I would say you have forgotten a bolt somehow...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
this is a awesome trick!!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

sweet thats a good idea. will test out tomorrow. thanks guys for all the help
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

so just wanted to let you guys know that pushing the clutch in definately worked and i greatly appreciate the help guys. Dowels were super nasty. thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: cant get transmission out