Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch kit ls1 on viper t56 in 72 chevelle clutch wont release im out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls7 clutch kit ls1 on viper t56 in 72 chevelle clutch wont release im out of ideas

so I have an ls7 clutch kit for my chevelle and I have the viper t56 with the input shaft machined down to ls1 input dimensions. I have double checked my input shaft dimensions and triple checked them they all are in good clearance. I had a spacer made to adapt the viper midplate to accept an fbody slave and I have double checked those and have 1/16" clearance between the clutch fingers and the throwout bearing at full slave compression. I have checked the slave operation and it has a full half inch of travel. and the master cylinder I am using is a new mcleod universal 3/4" bore 1.12" stroke unit.

I bled the clutch for 15 minutes using over 3 cups of fluid and the pedal is good and hard but when I have someone press it to the floor I cannot turn the transmission output shaft in gear. works just fine not on the engine though or in neutral.

I can put a short 6" pry bar in the yoke and force it over but it takes almost all my strength and just for testing purposes I did it without someone on the clutch and I has able to get it to move then also with the same amount of effort.

Now I did get this clutch set used from a member on here, I don't think he sold me a lemon but I it is possible.

the transmission has been in and out today 3 times trying to figure out what the heck the problem is and I'm stumped. I've researched and tried checking all the things I listed but I'm just plain out of ideas.

someone please help me out on this
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you reset the LS7 clutch when you received it? (Presume it's used)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ew-master.html
Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

I did not mike, I just ran across that a minute or two ago as I continued my search lol

how far should I reset it? my custom slave adapter I had cut back a little because I didnt know about the self adjusting plate so I will need to re measure to make sure I don.t need a shim now
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey chevyboy91188, I am having a very similar problem. I have been chasing down the source for months, and I too have installed my trans 4 times now. I was going to ask you PLEASE if you don't mind... do you know that 1/2" of travel is sufficient on the slave to make the clutch operate functionally? I promise I am not trying to hijack, maybe we can help each other. I am now having my PP inspected by the manufacturer, I think that may be my problem. Anyways, here is a link with a video I made of my slave, is there any way I could beg you to check it out and let me know what you think?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-question.html
Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

I tried the reset, but I don't know if I compressed the fingers enough I was only able to turn the ring to just even with the factory markings. I reassembled it and I can now turn it with my pry bar but it still requires some force with the pedal pressed. Idk if I should try and remove it one last time and press the fingers farther and see if I can reset it past the factory lines
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Launching!

ok after some more measurements I finally realized that the ls7 clutch hub splines are a good deal longer than the standard ls1 discs and since I am using a viper box with input cut down to ls1 spec the spline length it not long enough to allow the clutch to release less than a 1/16th of an inch was causing the issue so my clutch itself is fine but the splines were maxed out making the clutch have just enough pressure on it to make it drag.

I hope this someday helps someone in my rare situation

Quick Reply: ls7 clutch kit ls1 on viper t56 in 72 chevelle clutch wont release im out of ideas