Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans instal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans instal help

just put a new centerforce clutch in my 1999 camaro bench blead the master and drilled it, put the bellhousing on but i cant get the trans to go in, i started to pull the trans in by using some longer bolts but i feel like im just ramming it into the crank, any tips to get the alignment right?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, you're not alone! Getting the transmission to go in was definitely the hardest part of the clutch install for me. Took at least 3 hours in my case.

Make sure you've used an alignment tool to center the disc with the pilot bearing, otherwise the tip of the input shaft won't go into the pilot bearing. I would NOT recommend using bolts to pull the input shaft into clutch disc for fear of damage to splines of shaft/disc. Only time I think using bolts to pull in is ok, is during last few cm of install, when aligning the 2 dowel pins.

Next, having the trans situated correctly on the jack is pretty important. Do what you have to do to get the tip of the input shaft into the splines of the disc. At this point, the rear of the trans, and the trans as a whole should be able to move freely without bumping into too much stuff. The trans should also be relatively level, but if anything, have the front slightly higher than the rear. In my situation, I was getting the tip of the input shaft into the disc, but the rear of the trans where the shifter goes was hitting and preventing me from being able to wiggle the trans into place. The solution was to lower the rear of the trans (or raise the front) by re-situating it on the jack-thank goodness for a $60 Harbor Freight jack w/adjustable tray. Problem solved.

With some side to side and up and down wiggling, the trans slid forward a couple of inches at this point, but the dowel pins still needed to be lined up. If you cannot get the dowel pins to line up exactly, I would recommend getting them as close as you can, then tighten up bolts evenly around them. That should pull it right in.

Finally, do NOT use grease on the splines of the input shaft thinking that will help. It might help the trans go in easier, but when it slings all over your new clutch disc, it's no fun. I found out the hard way. haha
Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use the bolts to pull it in. You will crack the bellhousing. Been there

Quick Reply: Trans instal help