Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ok, so i'm on suicide watch. CLUTCH guru's, come in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Sorry guys....been a little depressed about this ****. I don't have the free time like I used to. Im trying to set time aside this weekend to drop drivetrain and inspect.

I hope to have it figured out then. Until then,....whiskey it is.
Hey man if you need I can pm you my number and we can talk after you get it all removed.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so i'm on suicide watch....
Do it. It's not just the way out, It's the only way out.

j/k.

Lol. C5's suck for big power. Shoulda went C4 or C6 guts. $$$ How about a Lambo? 04-05's are going for $70-$80 right now.
Sounds like the diff/trans/engine is torquing under load. When this happens it naturally causes a "bend" in the torque tube, causing a misalignment fore and aft, which causes the shaft to whip.

Check ALL your bushings front to back. Motor mounts, trans mounts, diff mounts, brackets, shims, ect. ect. Make sure everything is dead nuts right. Some cars, depending on the use, have to have a little lead (not the metal) built into them so parts move into correct alignment under power.

Last edited by Monzsta; 05-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost-1
Hey man if you need I can pm you my number and we can talk after you get it all removed.
Thanks a lot man, much appreciated. Took everything out today...found that the shaft was 25 thousandths out at tip and about 7 thousandths out, closer to the torque tube. So I rotated, ended being 30 thousandths out now...so, we decided to measure my cousins,....which has been a vibration free car, and his, was 25 thousandths out. So, I dunno. Im taking both exo skels I have and having them balanced, im taking the torque tube to hopefully the same place. Hoping doing that, will take care of issue. Thank you again for your help, very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Monzsta
Do it. It's not just the way out, It's the only way out.

j/k.

Lol. C5's suck for big power. Shoulda went C4 or C6 guts. $$$ How about a Lambo? 04-05's are going for $70-$80 right now.
Sounds like the diff/trans/engine is torquing under load. When this happens it naturally causes a "bend" in the torque tube, causing a misalignment fore and aft, which causes the shaft to whip.

Check ALL your bushings front to back. Motor mounts, trans mounts, diff mounts, brackets, shims, ect. ect. Make sure everything is dead nuts right. Some cars, depending on the use, have to have a little lead (not the metal) built into them so parts move into correct alignment under power.

Lol, my kind of humorous fucked up mind.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure GM says no more than 5 thousandths you may haves to check it with the drive shaft out of the tube like I di and possible rotate both ends.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just gonna let a drive shaft shop look at it. It's a good time for everything to get resurfaced..etc. I have a couple of small things to do on the car anyways so, I guess this down time was needed maybe.

I'll keep you posted on driveshaft findings. Thanks again dudes.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm just gonna let a drive shaft shop look at it. It's a good time for everything to get resurfaced..etc. I have a couple of small things to do on the car anyways so, I guess this down time was needed maybe.

I'll keep you posted on driveshaft findings. Thanks again dudes.
Yeah man keep us updated.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Banned

Updates!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Jamie, when you are saying 25thou out, where is the measurement taken? what's the spec on that?

I had a 2000 that had the newer TTube in it(without the bolts out back), not sure if GM used the newer Tube in '00 with the older prop shaft? I dunno

If you need answers on the C6Z06 conversion down the road, I've got that figured out; with some smart shopping you can do it for 4g
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Updates!

In a sentence, **** this thing.

Thats how I feel about it, most of the time. I did remove the drivetrain, and, I haven't done a thing with it since. Not that I haven't attempted, in a half *** way kinda. I want to send out my clutch(exoskel)/flywheel to be inspected, resurfaced, and if possible, balanced. I called a couple of spots here, but didn't get far. Honestly though, I haven't invested alot of time into calling....just called a couple places....ne and ne,....been to busy during day to scavenge for clutch places...after hours, when I have the time, nobody is open(I have a new, much busier, more stressful job position-leaves me no time during day)... So,...the clutch,...I need to find a place still. Maybe tonight, I won't relax,..and I'll spend my night, looking for places to do it. (not motivated to spend my time in front of a pc at night)...

,,,then there is the torque tube. Yeah, well, I called a well known company(specializes in this ****(chassis) ,....twice,..granted, it was late in the day but, I did leave messages, descriptive, name, number,..I never once recieved a call back. That was two weeks ago(thanks alot). I wanna call another place but,, they're site was blocked from work, and since then,...haven't really been motivated to find the free time to look for more places.

I'll get another companies info tonight, save the number, and call them tomorrow on lunch or something. I am ready to ship/send somewhere.

So, that's that noise.

On the other end, I had a day off last week, I did spend some time on the vette. I finished solid control arm bushing swap, which has been a thorn in my side to get done. I did the bottoms a while back when the car was down,..cause it was easy, and I had the time... well, time escapes these days but,, finally, the uppers, and lowers are completely done. Eventually, 4 new tires, and I am going to align the car. I can't wait to drive it like that, solid bushings, solid mounts, coilovers and some sort of RR tire.

I also did the longer rear studs, cause with my FIKSE's,..they're for a C6,. so I used 1/4 spacers, now I have 3/8's, with hardened studs. So It should give the car a little more aggressive look. What else.....hmmm.....O,..I ordered some HARDLINE and fittings from RacePartSolutions in Boca,Fl today cause I am tired of looking at sloppy vacuum lines on the driver side. So,..Not a major priority at the moment but,..those will probably get done soon too.

That's the problem, the longer the car sits, the more **** I end up buying. Sucks, cause, I want a house.....the car is not making it easy.

Thinking very hard about the future of it....and what I am gonna do with it. The TT LSX mustang I was building, may have a very interested buyer for that suddenly, so that may go as well.

Yes, some progress but,....not what I, or anyone wants to hear.

Originally Posted by connecticut
Jamie, when you are saying 25thou out, where is the measurement taken? what's the spec on that?

I had a 2000 that had the newer TTube in it(without the bolts out back), not sure if GM used the newer Tube in '00 with the older prop shaft? I dunno

If you need answers on the C6Z06 conversion down the road, I've got that figured out; with some smart shopping you can do it for 4g
If I remember correctly, I placed the dial indicator attachment to the torque tube bolt location......applied the tip(just the tip ) to the input shaft on the torque tube....locked it down, zero'd it..and checked it out.

I'm waiting for my cell pics to upload....I can show you.

4G's to me.........is a lot of money. I know people think cause of the car/mods/etc....that it's no problem....but,..for me,.. thats a lot. I would like to do the TR6060 but, I dunno. Only way that could fly, is if I sold the mustang, I sold my GOOD T56, diff,..etc. But, I dunno what that would be worth. Then the extra cash, would probably be not as hard to do.

Are you talking about actual TR6060 and cradle/diff etc? Or you talking about Tr6060 guts in the T56?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

...so, after 5 minutes, found this from a company, a new driveshaft. The vibration I am having, could it be the driveshaft warping? I did once rip the bolts out of my stock torque tube,..I then am now using one from an 03 Z06, with solid driveshaft couplers. Could this be the issue?

Product Description
Our new torque tube driveshaft is made from 3.5" x.125" wall 6061-T6 aluminum and uses our own custom machined ends. This will ensure that the shaft will not distort or break like the factory units. The factory shaft is made from a smaller tube (there are 2 different types) and will flex and actually bend during hard acceleration, causing the rubber drives to wear out prematurely. Available for C5 and C6 applications, and can also be made to custom lengths. Rated to 1000HP with a 1-year warranty. If you are planning to make more power, check out our high horsepower 3.5'' Heavy-Duty version. And be sure to check out the new Rubber Coupler upgrades, made from high quality Polyurethane.
Part Number: GMC5M-2-HD

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...-3-5o-hd-shaft

.....if so, thats an expensive fix. The shaft, $900 bucks,...the poly couplers(cause my new SOLID ones, I wouldn't feel comfortable using if everyone is saying to use poly)..so, the kit with new bearings, and couplers is like another $500.00. So, 1400 without shipping anything anywhere yet, plus my clutch resurface/inspection.

So,............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................**** me.

So,..that cost, and I stil have a T56.

lol.

Should almost just sell everything, buy the TR6060 setup....but, your supposed to reuse your torque tube anyways aren't you? So either way,...I am screwed.

Pretty much.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

^ I feel your pain V-series. Gotta stick with it though man, that is a sick fuggin car.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
^ I feel your pain V-series. Gotta stick with it though man, that is a sick fuggin car.

Ha, glad one of us is optimistic.

Here's a video I took with my gopro last week...and how the car currently looks,...among the other minions that are in the joint.

http://youtu.be/xiMUMd81Ldo
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

...starting to think the car needs a clutch. Anything that'll hold 1kft-lbs? 1k+rwhp?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Just a thought, you didnt upgrade to a quicktime blowproof bellhousing did you?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric Hawkins
Just a thought, you didnt upgrade to a quicktime blowproof bellhousing did you?
No sir, factory housing with SFI approved blanket.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Well it was just a thought, I would look in to the spec twin disk for a clutch replacment.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, thats a nice *** shop. Good luck on the car, in the mean time I'm going to drool over the other ones....
Old 07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric Hawkins
Well it was just a thought, I would look in to the spec twin disk for a clutch replacment.
I'm not allowed to run spec clutches. Really don't think I could take another, chopped in half Vette due to a clutch failure.

Originally Posted by bill12690
Man, thats a nice *** shop. Good luck on the car, in the mean time I'm going to drool over the other ones....

Thanks dude.

Quick Reply: Ok, so i'm on suicide watch. CLUTCH guru's, come in.