Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

02 camaro T-56 getting hard to put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 camaro T-56 getting hard to put in gear

i have a stock (including clutch) 02 SS with almost 112,000 miles on it and its getting hard to put in into gear....mostly 1st and reverse, but get some trouble out of all the lower gears sometimes. i have started having a hard time at stop lights getting into first from a sit still, and if i stop to back into a parking spot its real hard to get into reverse. i was gonna drive the car today but i couldn't even get it into reverse to get out of my driveway. like i said, its a factory car i bought from the original owner early this year so im sure it still has the original clutch in it. i have had someone say they think the clutch or pressure plate has gone bad, and some others think its the master or slave cylinder. anyone have an idea what this problem is or should be?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

bleed the system make sure all the air is out. when the car is off is it easy to shift into all gears it should be. if not there are problems with the trans. if all the air is out of the system it all should work properly. bad clutch will slip meaning you can put it into 5th or so stop on it and it should bog down. pressure plate i have no idea it all swaps out with a clutch kit. master or slave good luck. but i do have two masters if you looking to buy both have drill mod More fluid pressure for a bigger clutch and one new one 47,000 miles pm if intrested
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rad23
when the car is off is it easy to shift into all gears it should be.
ill check this afternoon and see if it goes in easy when its off. i was able to get it into some of the higher gears this morning while it was running but i didnt try it off.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

just buy a tick master before you snap one of the shift forks and it costs you 1500 for a rebuild
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

yes i do recommend a tick as well it pricey but thats why i have extra stocks for sale, they just dont push like a tick worth every penney
Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If I were you I would do one of our Masters and a new slave cylinder... You can never have to much insurance for your trans. Clutch hydraulics are the number one reason for t56 failures.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
If I were you I would do one of our Masters and a new slave cylinder... You can never have to much insurance for your trans. Clutch hydraulics are the number one reason for t56 failures.
i believe i will be getting one of your master cylinders as well as a nice clutch, maybe a spec. im still very new to these cars and spunging up all the info i can before i start throwing parts at it. thanks for the recommendation.

i was able to get the trans to go into gear last night fine with the car off, but while it was running it was hard. master cylinder is full....guess im going to be doing a clutch upgrade as well as the master to a tick.

Quick Reply: 02 camaro T-56 getting hard to put in gear