Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SS shifter & knob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS shifter & **** question

So I got my first M6 car yesterday, super sexy 97 z28 30th anniversary, white w/ hugger orange stripes & white leather. WOOT

Got a question on the shifter - are all M6 Hurst? Either way, what's the remedy for the shifter feeling like it hits a wall before it goes into gear? You know, it's kind of like a "notch" it falls into before it goes all the way, not 1 smooth motion. Will a WS6 store SS shifter fix/improve this or do you need a whole new shifter assembly?

Also anyone know where I can get a 30th anniversary shift ****? Or anything white with something orange on it, or vice versa. Preferably 30th or z28 or something like that... I'm about to just settle on a hurst ball **** but would like something cooler...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont waste your money on anything other than a MGW shifter. Best shifter on the market hands down!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
Dont waste your money on anything other than a MGW shifter. Best shifter on the market hands down!
but everyone and their mother's uses the WS6store shifters and is happy with them, 25 bucks is hard to compete with lol.

What's going to be the difference? Like i asked I know the ws6 is just the stick, I'm new to the M6 so I don't know whether you need a full shifter to make the difference I want or just the ws6 stick if it will do the trick.

the car shifts good as is, it's not horrible, but it could definitely be better. got a brand new clutch too.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from stock to B&M Ripper, didn't care for the ripper, then I got introduced to the MGW....Like Chris said, if you get anything other than the MGW, you're not doing your car justice.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Launching!

So what you guys are saying is the shifter makes the difference, not the stick, correct?

Damn 200$ for the MGW... ouch.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The stick just shortens the height of the shifter, thats it. MGW makes you car feel like something out of this work. Its super smooth, clean, and fast shifting... It is one BAD shifter!!!! If im not mistaken you can use that ws6 stick with the mgw, but no real need to....

I bought the ws6store stick years ago and ran with it for a long time thinking that was a great option, had no idea until I drove one with a MGW, then I was like, I got to get one of those!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Nice! Yeah sorry for the noob question lol.. I wasn't sure if the actual whole shifter needed to be upgraded or just the stick. I got the Ws6store short stick in, it's pretty good but it's so short there's really no room for your hand when you shift into second I have to kind of palm the ball, it's almost too short. Forget about having the ash tray open, I can barely go to 2nd with it shut.

So the MGW is definitely an option, I have to be picky with the mods right now since the car is bone stock and I want to get the biggest gains possible for the money right now. Are there any other shifters to consider that would be a nice improvement for less money? Tough choice, LT headers or a new shifter lol, I want more power right now. With the new clutch, SS stick, hurst **** the car shifts well but could definitely be 1000x better. I don't have the factory Hurst either.

So far I had a lot of parts from my other Camaro so I've gotten to put in:
35/22 UMI swaybars, poly bushings/endlinks - GREAT improvement, car leans in now
brand new Bilsteins / BMR lowering springs going in tomorrow
52mm p&p throttle body going in tomorrow
SLP lid conversion going in as soon as I get the parts (got lid, need stock stuff now)
410 gears bought w/ rebuild kit, going in this week
new rims going on this week
getting tuned when all the mods are done

With the left over money I have, I can basically either get a nice set of LT headers & do my exhaust cheaply somehow, would love to score a cheap loudmouth, or not sure what else to go for.

Quick Reply: SS shifter & knob question