Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

possible major transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy possible major transmission problem?

OK so me and a friend installed a new pilot bearing GM pn 14061685, new monster clutch kit and my rebuilt t56 from tdp yesterday in my 99 ls1 camaro. Everything was going together great up until we put the trans in... It started to go in fine but it would stop about 1/4 of inch of being flush to the bell housing. We took it out about 3 times and tried the alignment tool and that went in with now problem what so ever. So we eventually got it back in as far as it would go and it again was a 1/4 away from being flush. Everything was lined up perfectly so I installed all the bolts for the trans and very slowly moving in a cross pattern the whole time tightened the trans down until it became flush. None of the bolts were hard to tighten it went it pretty easy. My question is do you think the input shaft was hanging up on the pilot bearing and me tightening the bolts was pressuring the bearing in even further into the crank? OR could it have just been the dowel pins being off just enough that we couldn't get it in by hand but tightening the bolts allowed the trans to go in. Sorry for the essay but i needed to tell the whole story lol.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

A little lube goes a long way. I usually apply some grease to the tip of the input shaft, the splines on the shaft and the dowel pins on the mid plate.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Should I be worried about anything?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think theres anything wrong just keep working it back and forth. I had the same issue in my old s10
Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

Usually what I recommend is getting 4-6 bolts started about 3 or 4 turns and then rocking the crap out of the unit up and down, side to side until it lines up perfectly and slides into place. I have had to use the bolts to draw the units up before but its never a good idea and always use caution when doing it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

makes me alittle nervous. when we got the 6 bolts started we shook the trans and still wasn't able to get it to go in. but i did keep jumping around when i tightened the bolts, hopefully it went in straight. could i have accidentally pressed the pilot bearing in the crank further if it was hanging up on it? Or would I have known if it wasn't in the pilot bearing?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I've never had a problem like this before, but I'm assuming I would know if the input shaft wasn't in the pilot bearing? I've seen that the stage 3 clutch will probably chatter during the break in period and I just dont want to get that confused with the possibility of the input shaft not being in the pilot bearing.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely the disc wasn't aligned correctly. The worse thing to do is to force it like you did as you can tweak the disc or damage the pilot bearing.

If the input shaft isn't in the pilot bearing it will vibrate typically, you will also hear some bad noises when you start it up.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I tried the alignment tool about 3 times after we were having problems and it went in just fine. Didn't hang up on anything
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Everytime it stopped going in any further the dowel pins were up against the bell housing. I'm just wondering that if I was close enough to where the dowel pins were touching than the input shaft would have already been in the pilot bearing.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Disc alignment and residual pressure behind the slave can cause issues with seating the trans. Be careful with this as you can both damaged the disc and plate without proper alignment. Try opening the bleeder valve for the slave to insure that the bearing is not starting to contact the diaphragm fingers before the trans is in place. You should not need to pull the assembly down with bolts.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I am having the same problem. Everything seems to be correct with alignment and dowel pins. When i get within 1/2 inch of bellhousing it will not go any closer regardless off how much i try to force it, wiggle it or lift/drop tranny. Was it easy to draw it in with bolts bc ive been told to never do that.. But seems like what its what it needs. Also did all of your bolts still line up easily and does it still seem to be working fine? Thanks

Quick Reply: possible major transmission problem?