Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

had engagement issue with centerforce dual friction clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had engagement issue with centerforce dual friction clutch

car is a 1994 trans am, built motor, upgraded trans (borg warner w/ center dual friction) and p1sc pro/supercharger

figured i would post this here also, would like an answer asap, this is my daily until i buy a beater, and ive seen a few threads about this clutch and i think the problem im having with it

on my way home, i did a quick pull in 3rd, i tried shifting in to 4th at around 6k rpms and it wouldnt go into gear, i pulled into a side street and it was in neutral and the clutch pedal was vibrating/shaking. it wouldnt go into gear easily at all, had to turn the car off to get it into gear, put it in 1st started it and it started rolling a little (might not have got it in all the way?) well my brother came by to check on it and after a while it started going back into gear fine, a little hard but went in so he drove it home, the vibrating stopped and it goes into gears now. Idk how these clutches should be but even when i got the car, it never went into gear smooth, always needed a little muscle to get it in gear, i have read that these clutches have issues with weights dropping? and something about shimming the master/adjusting it? and would the drill mod fix this? would appreciate some help, im looking at buying another clutch if its bad (about 470 rwhp) what could the vibrating clutch have been and why did it go away all of a sudden? could anything have broke? my brother says it might have been a spring but i dont know, any help would be extremely appreciated, dont want to be stranded again, but its driveable now although a *little* harder
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

bump it up
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

bump, anybody any ideas?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LT1 T56 doesn't use the same hydraulic system and DF Centerforce clutch. the hydraulics are usually not an issue with these cars and the LT1 Centerforce clutches are usually pretty good. It is possible that one of the weights could have broke off but I would think if the vibration came and went then the weight could have been jambed and dislodged itself.

The PP or disc could be worn and when you did the pull it heated it up enough to cause it to not fully disengage.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Question

update: finally got around to doing the "stock adjustable master cylinder" & "drill mod" today, gotta say its not much of a difference but idk, its definitely not worse and does feel a bit smoother, heres the thing, this is the 2nd time i have found this "material" when removing the slave cylinder, its a black hard thin plastic/metallic piece that has fabric woven in it (first time i've found this i thought it was leftovers of a bird ), it looks like the material that makes up the disk....is this true? how much more life do any of you think the clutch has anymore, its still driveable and im guessing that once its hot it'll still be hard as hell if not impossible to get in reverse

Quick Reply: had engagement issue with centerforce dual friction clutch