Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aftermarket shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93z383. Is the Hurst your talking about New? U have put down 3 different prices for this Hurst with flat chrome stick and white ball... $120,150,130 which is it? Reason I ask is because if it's $150... Then you are $30-40 away from a NEW Pro5.0 or Hurst Billet Plus... Seeing how you already have the WS6 store stick and White ball i vote for New shifter and use your existing setup on it...

Idk about this Hurst Comp. Is doesnt look like it has the gear stop like the Hurst Billet Plus. So I assume it is like the Factory Hurst(which I have and i am Happy with it) also the Hurst Billet Plus has a adjustable spring Bias... Which is nice. U set it to take more effort to push sideways. And it is also Notchy like the Pro 5.0... You can put your WS6Store Short Stick and Hurst Ball on both shifters.... And both shifters are about the same price... And about your last post I would get my money back. Forget the ripper. He sent the wrong shifter anyway. If u can change the stick it isn't the B&M...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Pro 5.0 here with the angled stick cut down so only 6-8 threads are left (the way I got it) with a slim hurst shift **** (no part number, got it off ebay a few years ago) and I love it. It's really notchy and gives a really positive feel when you shift. The shifter is a little noisy, but with my mods the last thing I'm worried about is a little drivetrain noise through the shifter.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ is that the only shifter you've ran on ur car? What angled stick do u have? UMI? Lou's?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

^Think he's referring to the stock stick that comes with Pro 5.0s. Lots of ppl take an inch or so off the threaded portion to make it shorter. Haven't heard anyone cutting an already "short" stick.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot they come stock with the angle. Thanks for clearing that up
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

No prob, I actually did the cut to a friends and it came out almost too short. I have a Lou's stick with mine and its the perfect height...wish it was a little more angled towards me but it's still a fantastic mod.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry it was the stick that came with the Pro 5.0 and its the only shifter that I have had, but I have driven them with stock shifters The Hurst **** I have is a little tall, so having the stick cut down gives it a close to perfect feel IMO
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
93z383. Is the Hurst your talking about New? U have put down 3 different prices for this Hurst with flat chrome stick and white ball... $120,150,130 which is it? Reason I ask is because if it's $150... Then you are $30-40 away from a NEW Pro5.0 or Hurst Billet Plus... Seeing how you already have the WS6 store stick and White ball i vote for New shifter and use your existing setup on it...
Yeah it's brand new, sorry the different prices I listed were either the shifter bare, with stick, or complete shifter stick **** boot.

Thank you to the guy who cleared that up for me and let me know the Hurst comp is just the factory equipped Hurst! Saved me a waste of money. I'm sure it would be a decent shifter and I love the look of it but if I'm going to spend any decent amount of money on a shifter I would rather put down 50 bucks more and get the best money can buy.

Just waiting on this B&M ripper to come in the mail and see if it actually is indeed the B&M ripper or if this guy is a total douche and listed a stock shifter on ebay as a ripper and took a picture of the damn box.

Keeping my fingers crossed.... otherwise the search will continue lol

So I finally found some credible information on the Hurst comp shifters! Basically they are identical with the Hurst Billet plus. The Billet is just the newest model, and has a aluminum base vs the steel base. Some say the stops are different, some say the bushing in the billet is ever so slightly improved, but the vast majority say it's the same shifter just their older model, and it accepts different sticks.

The comp is sweet looking.. like I said before I can get a brand new loaded comp with the nice chrome hurst engraved flat 6" short stick and a white hurst 6 speed **** with hurst engraved on the side for $140 shipped, and I can send back my WS6store short stick and Hurst **** which were about 75 bucks just right there -_-.

Still hoping this B&M ripper is the real deal, but if it's not it's looking like I'm gonna give the comp a try.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard same about Comp and Billet... But u said in 1 paragraph that comp was Factory hurst... Idk If u seen a chrome stick in a all black interior of a FBody... Looks out of place... That's just me... Wel good luck on ur shifter...

^^^ 02WS6 heat up stick a little and bend to preffered angle... I've had friends do this on WS6 short stick to match my UMI... I like the angle
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Launching!

I heard same about Comp and Billet... But u said in 1 paragraph that comp was Factory hurst... Idk If u seen a chrome stick in a all black interior of a FBody... Looks out of place... That's just me... Wel good luck on ur shifter...
Yeah someone else posted that the Comp was just the factory Hurst that came in the hurst equipped cars. I haven't seen any info in my searches that verifies that, but it seems likely. Pretty much all the info I dug up from about 20 different sites was everyone saying the Comp is nearly identical to the Billet.

The Comp comes with a plain straight black stick, the flat chrome one is optional. I have a white/hugger orange stripe 30th anniversary car with white leather, so the chrome stick & white **** would look great IMO. I like it because it's pretty unique - many people have aftermarket *****, shift boots, ect, but I haven't seen any Fbodies aside from 1 on craigslist with a flat hurst stick. It's got an old school look I really like, and it's also slightly angled instead of being just straight.

And yeah like 2win said if anyone wants their stick to be angled just put it in a vice, heat up the bottom area where you're going to bend it, and crank on it a little bit. You can do it with almost any stick, just make sure you keep the mounting spot where you bolt it up nice and flat.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered an MGW after driving a friends car with it. It's an awesome shifter with insanely short shifts. Feels strong as all hell too.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93z383
Yeah someone else posted that the Comp was just the factory Hurst that came in the hurst equipped cars. I haven't seen any info in my searches that verifies that, but it seems likely. Pretty much all the info I dug up from about 20 different sites was everyone saying the Comp is nearly identical to the Billet.

The Comp comes with a plain straight black stick, the flat chrome one is optional. I have a white/hugger orange stripe 30th anniversary car with white leather, so the chrome stick & white **** would look great IMO. I like it because it's pretty unique - many people have aftermarket *****, shift boots, ect, but I haven't seen any Fbodies aside from 1 on craigslist with a flat hurst stick. It's got an old school look I really like, and it's also slightly angled instead of being just straight.

And yeah like 2win said if anyone wants their stick to be angled just put it in a vice, heat up the bottom area where you're going to bend it, and crank on it a little bit. You can do it with almost any stick, just make sure you keep the mounting spot where you bolt it up nice and flat.
Well in your case a Chrome stick and white ball would look good in your car... Let us know what u end up with and how u like it... Post pic if u can.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a Pro 5.0 and love it. it is nice and precise, and you will always know if you are in gear or not. i didn't like the height of the stock Pro 5.0 stick, so i cut all but 1" of the threads off on the stick, then machined the angle of contact to the base to lean more towards the driver. love it so much more with the angle!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Well in your case a Chrome stick and white ball would look good in your car... Let us know what u end up with and how u like it... Post pic if u can.
My thoughts exactly

Still waiting on this B&M ripper, i'll post up what happens.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mgw or bust, it is that much better than all the others, it takes some getting use to but once ya get the hang of it you will never think about buying another shifter
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've read couple threads about how much effort it rakes to put the MGW into gear... Even after the break in period... It's up and down with those shifters... From what i hear.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put the MGW into my Silverado. Definitely more effort than stock but the throws are short and solid. I love it! I'm putting a longer stick on it though soon.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Launching!

So my "B&M ripper" was actually the stock bottom of the barrel OEM shifter that I have IN MY CAR right now lol... the guy didn't know I guess, but he refunded my money.

So the search continues, pretty soon I'm gonna pull the trigger. So I've probably asked this before, but with the MGW is the stick interchangable, and is the stick that comes on it good as is? Like is it a shorter stick, or would you want to change it out?

Depending on the deal I find I'll probably be going all or nothing, either I'll pick up that complete Hurst comp or I'll go with the MGW unless a deal on a different one is too good to pass up.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got my B&M Ripper in the classifieds right now because once I checked out the MGW, I had to have it.....Got the MGW and sellng the B&M.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No MGW is not interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket shifters