Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is the POWERGRIP HD the clutch for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the POWERGRIP HD the clutch for me?

I have a 2000 SS M6. I want to replace my clutch... I was thinking POWERGRIP HD... I drove a friends T/A that has the HD clutch... I like the pressure in the pedal... But my car is stock except Intake and Exhaust... So would this Clutch be over the top since it is capable of 600HP... and yes I am planning Full Bolt on soon.... And H/C/I In the future... Probably a NOOB question but advice from anyone with knowledge would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

get a monster stg. 2 with there bilet steel flywheel
Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that the clutch u run? What is better about that specific clutch? Is there more pressure in the clutch pedal?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a few friends who used this clutch. They are not the best drivers and with their street driving, they slipped the **** out of it and broke it in short time. Not due to power (cam only m6 making 420 rwhp) but to just slipping the **** out of it from a stop. MOST clutches seem to have this issue, really cant be rode on.

Need to tach up the rpms, and quick release. Not the smoothest transition but keeps the clutch alive.

I ended up with a Textraila OZ-700 Z grip. Been in the car for years, track and street driven and one of the few clutches that hold power, and can be slipped like a street clutch. I run a Tick clutch master which IMO for these cars are needed with out issue. Its not a cheap clutch but IMO one of the best all time clutch. Same power range but will live for the long run.

Blow up one spec, ram, monster and unless your getting a free one, your a good chunk of $$$ towards a Tex.

Basically before Monster came around (3-4 years ago) this is one of the better options out there and IMO still hold true.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

Get a Monster Level 2, great clutch, backed by a warranty, proven performer, and you won't have any chatter. If you're looking for something more aggressive go with our Level 3, same as above and takes some ridiculous amount of abuse.

We've got Level 2's running high tens and 3's running low 10's, 4's are in the 9's as is our 5, 6, and 11" ceramic units.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Looks like ill try out the monster. I've also heard very good reviews on them. But never heard if the clutch pedal was firm like the HD... really doesn't matter. Aslong as the Clutch holds up that's all I care about. I'll also be using a billet flywheel with Tick adjustable master. Thanks for the input guys
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Been daily driving my ram powergrip HD for the last 30k miles. If the ls1 clutch is anything like the LT1 its a great street clutch with no chatter and a ton of holding power.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

what the difference between the 11" and the 12"... besides the obvious diameter difference.

I'm looking at a monster level 3 clutch right now, but this engine is only at a bit over 400 rwhp.
Is that a bit overkill?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wel speed demon the details on the HD say that the clutch does chatter on take off. But holds up to 600hp...

And I was wondering the thing as performance... I was thinkn for a Lil more cash I can get a stage 3... But is that overkill?? I dnt really launch at 6000 and I wnt be near 700hp... I lookn for 450rwhp after my HCI setup... Not lookn for real high numbers like everyone else. I just want more HP.. What do u recommend SNLPerformance?

Quick Reply: Is the POWERGRIP HD the clutch for me?