Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Remove Transmission and Bellhousing Together?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Transmission and Bellhousing Together?

I'm installing an ls1/T56 into my 87 camaro, and the motor and transmission are currently out of the car. While everything is out, I wanted to replace a bad rear cover gasket. This also gives me an opportunity to check the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel out too.

So I started to remove the transmission and bellhousing together. I removed all of the bolts and pryed in the recesses on the sides of the bellhousing. I was able to get the transmission and bellhousing to move pretty far back (.250-375") between them, but it didn't look like the flywheel was moving relative to the bellhousing. It was almost as if the flywheel was coming with the transmission... Quite a bit of the weight of the motor was sitting on the crank pulley on a block of wood so I wouldn't think there's any way the crank could be moving. I have no clue what's going on here so I just stopped before anything broke if it wasn't right. Any ideas? Has anybody removed the transmission and bellhousing together before? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you take the trans off of the bellhousing first? Makes it a ton easier. Period.
Its an extra 8 bolts. And if the bellhousing has been on the block for a long time, its a bitch to get off.

The flywheel/clutch assy shouldnt be moving at all. Not sure exactly what you're seeing there.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got it off. I think it was just an optical illusion. There's no way the flywheel/crank was moving. I ended up removing the transmission first and then the bellhousing although I guess I really didn't have to. At least I have them separated by doing it that way now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to make sure I don't screw anything up by taking it apart so I'm doing everything very carefully.

Quick Reply: Remove Transmission and Bellhousing Together?