Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem and its driving me NUTS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem and its driving me NUTS!!!!!

OK I got a clutch issue I need a hand figuring out as its driving me nuts and its the only thing stopping me to driving my car besides getting a tune for it. I will try to explain this as best as I can to everyone

Bought the shell awhile back from a TGO member ( 89 IROC ) and it had a LS1 T56 swap in it. He ran it and everything was fine.

I got my set up in it LSX T56 and for some reason the clutch doesnt want to engage or disengage really at all. It will slightly go into gear but not enough to be fully in or release it when I start in fully in gear.

I noticed my clutch pedal sits an inch to an inch and a half closer to the firewall and not straight across level with the brake pedal. Is this the way its suppose to be as I have never ever seen a car like this at all.

I have the same pedals in the car the previous owner had which are 4th gen. I know you are suppose to mod them and I assumed he did that but I guess he had a adjustable master.

I figured it was just the travel of the pedal is the issue in the engaging and disengaging of the pedal

So I went and got 3rd gen pedals as why not Ill mod the 4th gen ones down the road and swap them in at a later date or over the winter. no big deal. Well guess what. When I swapped the 3rd gen ones in it was the same thing

1 - Im thinkin is there a difference in master rod lenghts over the years or between vettes and F-bodies?

2 - Has anyone come across this issue?

3 - any ideas as to remedy the issue. As the next step to fixing it for me is to buy all new hydralics to eliminate everything even tho all of them are new right now.

4 - bleed it again as I have bled it now many times and at least 4 to 5 liters of fluid has gone thru it

heres a pic of the pedals below. I know its bad but it was 3am when I took it and I was beat from putting the pedals in and out for 4 hours

If you need anymore info just let me know as I need this figured out ASAP

Thanks Guys

Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

No one has an idea what it could be?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a similar pedal depth issue in another t56 swap thread that the hole for the master wasn't large enough. The member had to re adjust how the master was aligned on the firewall to make the master sit down lower

I viewed the thread a few weeks ago and the pictures were still working. You can probably search for it and send the author a message
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

I just ordered a tick so I hope this will solve my pedal issues and anything else. All signs so far point to the stock master was junk to begin with or was damaged.

Previous owner Has a LS swap with a T56 in the car and drove it with no issues at all. Found out he had an adjustable master too which is why mine isnt working too good