Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Pros N' Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
Wich one do you recommend? I got a GTO T56 going into my 01' LS1. NA about 425RWHP for about a year then turbo.

Well I guess I know what clutch I'm not getting next week.

Research bud! or ask like I did. I always do before I pull the trigger on parts lol.
Give me a call and we'll go over your options, we're having a sale so now is the time!

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
Monster pushers dont act like Monsters are the clutch of all clutches......they have their problems too!

in time i will be getting one of them and then deal with their cons.....hehe!!
Difference is we stand behind our products in the slim chance you have an issue, good luck with doing that on a LS7. We're human, never said we didn't make mistakes, but we're much more proven performance wise than a LS7.

We still have less than a .3% failure rate, and most of those are installation issues that we still cover for people. Let me know when you're ready for a Monster, we'll take care of you!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls7 clutch on my z06. Daily drive iit and can't exaggerate how much I love it
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Give me a call and we'll go over your options, we're having a sale so now is the time!

Difference is we stand behind our products in the slim chance you have an issue, good luck with doing that on a LS7. We're human, never said we didn't make mistakes, but we're much more proven performance wise than a LS7.

We still have less than a .3% failure rate, and most of those are installation issues that we still cover for people. Let me know when you're ready for a Monster, we'll take care of you!

yes i understand Monster stands behind their product if there is a "product defect" which im sure doesnt happen that often...on both the LS or Monster.. they (both) are not junk. They are just made to handle different power levels. Im pretty sure GM spends alot more $$$ on research & development than monster could ever dream of.

im not bashing monster at all.......just my opinion.

someday im sure i will have a green clutch in my car....but not just now
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather replace my clutch with a z06 every year than worry about getting a aftermarket one. Keep in mind nothing is better than factory parts.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Vetteboy99... Good try but your wrong
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed. GM goes with the cheapest parts they possibly can. If you ever order a Monster clutch and take the time to inspoect the parts you'd see a VAST quality difference.

Less weight, holds more more power, made from better materials, and a better feeling, predictable engagement? That's why I got onboard and got one myself.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i think im going to have to change sooner than I planned. My LS7 clutch is working fine but ive added 120+hp and about the 100tq so i dont think it will last.

of course it always ends up that way...LOL
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Trunion King

I have LS7 clutch, feels like stock. I drive the **** of my car. The clutch held not slipped at all when I drove it at the Nurburgring track, 2 laps consecutively. I'm going to do it again probably when I get the chance to go to Silverstone track. Is there a better clutch package out there? sure no doubt about it. Once this decides to **** the bed, I'll be looking for a better one as I am planning to add more mods on the car.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
I have LS7 clutch, feels like stock. I drive the **** of my car. The clutch held not slipped at all when I drove it at the Nurburgring track, 2 laps consecutively. I'm going to do it again probably when I get the chance to go to Silverstone track. Is there a better clutch package out there? sure no doubt about it. Once this decides to **** the bed, I'll be looking for a better one as I am planning to add more mods on the car.
Yes, until one gets up into the small diameter, lightweight, MULTI-disc, 'on-off switch' unstreetable, CRAZY expensive, carbon-carbon type road racing clutches (AP Racing, Tilton, Quarter Master, etc.), the LS7 is usually the best choice for turning left and right.

Now for high powered launches/60 footing, I would agree that the better non-road race type aftermarket units do a much better job.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pro's:
great drivability, it lasted over 60k miles on it, light pedel feel.

Con's:
Started to slip on high rpms few weeks after installing my cam.

Ls7 is great for a bolt on ls1 but if u planning on adding h/c or any other power adders, ill get something else. I switched to tdp stage 2 and it feels just like my old ls7, but can handle the power.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Great advise here, (pors n cons) glad I posted this with time still haven't ordered a clutch since im not that far in my build yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Interesting..next time I ll get ls7 clutch.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am using a Thomson LSX 427 which is essentially an iron block LS7. Since I am shooting for 600 at the tires, I am using a ZR1 clutch and flywheel. I was told it could handle the torque and pedal feel would be smooth. I did have to get an adapter for the magnum so the bell housing would fit.

Last edited by SWAGON; 02-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

ordered the Green Clutch … Level 2. Talked to Steve and Chris, Great guys, helpful and quick responses thru email. Ill update with pics once it arrives.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes, until one gets up into the small diameter, lightweight, MULTI-disc, 'on-off switch' unstreetable, CRAZY expensive, carbon-carbon type road racing clutches (AP Racing, Tilton, Quarter Master, etc.), the LS7 is usually the best choice for turning left and right.

Now for high powered launches/60 footing, I would agree that the better non-road race type aftermarket units do a much better job.
I'd have to disagree with you. For road courses I'd definitely want something with less weight. LS7s are good for daily driving, that's about it. The people who say "well I've made xx track passes on the LS7", just give it time, you will see what we're talking about.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a budget upgrade to the stock clutch with stock-like feel and improved holding power, the LS7 is a great fit. If you're making 425-450 rwhp or planning to spend a ton of time at the track, you're better off spending a little more for a setup designed to withstand that abuse.

The LS7 is heavy....not a huge problem if it's a street car. To each their own, however I ended up going with a McLeod RST Twin Disk and lightweight aluminum flywheel....love the feel and it's handled everything I've thrown at it on the street and at the track.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Launching!

for what its worth, i have a ls7 clutch ls2 flywheel. my car make over 500 whp and torque. and i dont have any issues with my ls7 clutch. although i do not launch it often
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I got a monster lvl 6 18 lb fly with around 470 wrhp..(old setup) loved it. Good peddle feel. Grabbed hard. Lots of abuse. When I pulled it out on my motor swap it barely looked used at all. Ima always stick with monster. Do it right the first time. Or ul regret it later on spending more money then u shoulda. Have some peace of mind and put some good **** in there lol

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Pros N' Cons