Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Pros N' Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Pros N' Cons

I bought a GTO T56 for my swap and in need of a new clutch. Was thinking of the Z06 LS7 clutch because I've heard allot of good things about it. like best bang for the buck clutch..etc but I also heard the fly is real heavy. I was also thinking of a center force clutch. What do you guys think?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my LS7 clutch. it is a smooth engagement,and great pedal feel. it is one of the best clutch's i have ever had (besides my jeep clutch) i have about 10k on my clutch and it is still going strong. have at least 50 passes on it with launches from 1500-3500 rpm.

yes the flywheel is a little heavier then an LS1 but i have not seen any drop in MPG, and definitely not in power.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an LS7 Clutch in the SS and so far I love it. My wife thinks it's a little "heavy" on the foot, but I like it!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

cool thanks. 2 opinions any others?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS7 is an overrated clutch, if you drive it aggressively/take it to the track it will fail/slip. If you're on a budget and are trying to "get by" then this is the clutch for you. If you want something that will hold, is proven, is a complete kit that is balanced, and comes with a warranty, take a look at our Monster Clutches.

Oh, and we've got them on sale.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll agree with SNL! We've driven and installed a fair share of LS7 clutches, but I will tell you they just don't handle the power that guys want to push on them. Anything beyond about 450rwhp NA I would NEVER recommend that clutch for. On spray, I'd say less than that because they just can't handle the torque.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I'll agree with SNL! We've driven and installed a fair share of LS7 clutches, but I will tell you they just don't handle the power that guys want to push on them. Anything beyond about 450rwhp NA I would NEVER recommend that clutch for. On spray, I'd say less than that because they just can't handle the torque.
I'd qualify that by stating that vehicle weight plays a part
in all the stated values as well.. Remember that the vette
LS7 is close to 3100lbs and heavier vehicles will need lower
HP/TQ ratings to reliably use the LS7 clutch.

Since I'm building a 450rwhp NA L99 motor in a 2900lb C4 vette, I chose the LS7 clutch. YMMV
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The LS7 is an overrated clutch, if you drive it aggressively/take it to the track it will fail/slip. If you're on a budget and are trying to "get by" then this is the clutch for you. If you want something that will hold, is proven, is a complete kit that is balanced, and comes with a warranty, take a look at our Monster Clutches.

+1 For my car rated at 360RWHP on a decent day, It's a great clutch. It's smooth, light, strong and quite forgiving. I can tell you that when I start putting my build together, I'll end up with a different clutch.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

ive got about 10-15k on mine over 4 years. It is on its last legs right now. Its maybe seen the 10 track passes. I do however beat on it quite a bit on the street. I think a spring let go, my clutch pedal also stays on the floor if i get on it in a low gear
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my Diamond stage 2 on sale for $100 more than an LS7. It drives close to stock also.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I got my Diamond stage 2 on sale for $100 more than an LS7. It drives close to stock also.
I went with a diamond stage 2 also with light weight flywheel and tick master. It hits hard on shifts and has stock like engagement. WOT shifting has never been easier.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn man! I hate reading **** like this. specially the "cons" cause ive got an LS7 kit with New OEM master and slave that ive paid $750 just waiting to go in when i find the time.
Now i gotta read **** like this.....LOL
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
damn man! I hate reading **** like this. specially the "cons" cause ive got an LS7 kit with New OEM master and slave that ive paid $750 just waiting to go in when i find the time.
Something to be aware of is if you put in an LS7 and ever want to switch your stock MC to an aftermarket like Tick, you will be changing clutches as well. The self adjusting pressure plate on the LS7 doesn't like hydraulics changes. There are several guys on here, myself included, that have a LS7 broken in on a stock master and have changed to a Tick and encountered problems. Just something to think about now.

FWIW, I would seriously think about getting another clutch. The LS7s are ok, but they have a few major downsides, which have already been mentioned.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

??? You just reset the self-adjusters back and it will "self-adjust" to the new hydraulics. Hence the name and concept.

Not a pro, nor a con.

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Something to be aware of is if you put in an LS7 and ever want to switch your stock MC to an aftermarket like Tick, you will be changing clutches as well. The self adjusting pressure plate on the LS7 doesn't like hydraulics changes. There are several guys on here, myself included, that have a LS7 broken in on a stock master and have changed to a Tick and encountered problems. Just something to think about now.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have about 30k on my LS7. Beat on daily. Not even a hiccup. Grabs and hold just fine. Drives great. Probably around 375 RWHP.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
??? You just reset the self-adjusters back and it will "self-adjust" to the new hydraulics. Hence the name and concept.

Not a pro, nor a con.
Never knew you could reliably reset the self adjusters. That's a new one on me. I've heard of people trying, but it not being a guaranteed to work process. If you have done it before or know of people having success doing it, please let me know.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance

Wich one do you recommend? I got a GTO T56 going into my 01' LS1. NA about 425RWHP for about a year then turbo.

Well I guess I know what clutch I'm not getting next week.

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
Research bud! or ask like I did. I always do before I pull the trigger on parts lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
Wich one do you recommend? I got a GTO T56 going into my 01' LS1. NA about 425RWHP for about a year then turbo.

Well I guess I know what clutch I'm not getting next week.

that should be a no brainer at your power level and expected level ...doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Research bud! or ask like I did. I always do before I pull the trigger on parts lol.
duh....no ****! like i didnt do that before hand. I just dont go buying **** like a dumb **** and then wonder if its right.
There always gonna be pros and cons to every part, Cant please everyone. come on!!!

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 06-21-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Monster pushers dont act like Monsters are the clutch of all clutches......they have their problems too!

in time i will be getting one of them and then deal with their cons.....hehe!!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ls7 use to be the big thing before we had a lot of options for clutches. It was cheap and slightly better than stock, however comparing them with luk factory replacements it was hard to tell a difference between the two units

Go with the ls7 with your head/cam car and it should be enough to hold for your needs, just don't expect them to take hard drops from a stop and last as long as other clutches made of heavier compounds

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Pros N' Cons