Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brass pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brass pilot bearing

Doesanyone know where I can buy a good pilot bearing? Never really done one before and I got to pull my old one out, any pointers?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a "AC Delco" one from rockauto.com. Any auto part store would have one also but often "China" source. The OEM bearing has a slight rounded edge on the tranny side to help guide the tranny shaft in

I used a Blind Hole puller from Autozone (you buy it & return it loan a tool), work very easy to remove it. Use a wooden dowell ( I used a piece of wood closet dowel) to pound it in flush with crank. DO NOT piund it in deeper. If you have a large brass drift tool that works also. Just don't use a metal socket or hamer as it is just as hard as the bearing and can damage it.
Attached Thumbnails Brass pilot bearing-clutch-inst-2-pilot.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
I bought a "AC Delco" one from rockauto.com. Any auto part store would have one also but often "China" source. The OEM bearing has a slight rounded edge on the tranny side to help guide the tranny shaft in

I used a Blind Hole puller from Autozone (you buy it & return it loan a tool), work very easy to remove it. Use a wooden dowell ( I used a piece of wood closet dowel) to pound it in flush with crank. DO NOT piund it in deeper. If you have a large brass drift tool that works also. Just don't use a metal socket or hamer as it is just as hard as the bearing and can damage it.
D'oh!
No wonder... I need the blind hole puller. I took the pilot bearing puller and that shizz didn't fit!!!!

While you're there (both the stock and the rear crank) get the rear main seal puller and R&R your rear main seal.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Try to stay away from anything made in China.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

are you looking for a bushing? or a bearing?

I'm currently using this bushing:
PB-656-HD

Quick Reply: Brass pilot bearing