Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird T56/clutch issue - won't go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weird T56/clutch issue - won't go into gear.

I was cruising down the street in my 98 z28 today (not ripping on it at all), and I went to shift from 3rd to 4th... no luck; wouldn't go into gear. I tried every other gear, no luck. I coasted to a stop, tried putting it in gear while idling - no luck.

I could force it into gear slightly, but it would begin to grind so I didn't fully put it into gear. I then turned the car off and it went through all gears without any issues. Turned the car back on, couldn't put it in any gear. So I turned the car off, put it in 1st, started the car - and was able to drive about half a mile while shifting 3-4 times - then locked up again. I turned the car off again, put it in gear and drove the rest of the way home in 2nd gear. As soon as I pulled into my driveway I tried to downshift, no luck.

The clutch feels normal, the transmission isn't making any noise, no leaks. However, I noticed the car seems to shake when the engine is revved while idling. I'm thinking maybe somehow the flywheel or clutch is out of alignment, causing it to spin unevenly - which would cause it to shake. I just recently had the T56 rebuilt professionally, and I installed a SPEC flywheel & SPEC stage 3+ clutch, along with a new slave cylinder, master cylinder, and throwout bearing. I torqued everything down to correct specs, and put locktite on all bolts. I've put about 2k miles on it without any issues until now.

Anybody have any ideas before I drop the transmission again?

Last edited by eleet; 07-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

check the clutch fluid level and try re-bleeding it. i found your thread looking for info on why my 99 is shifting funny my resovior was low re-bled and was better for a couple of days then started again , I replaced the clutch master and was better again for a few days. anyway I'm going to pulll mine and inspect. did you also replace the pilot bearing? when I did my clutch 2-3 years ago it was basically dust no more needle bearings- its needed to support the input shaft and the disc that rides on it. hope this helps out
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

This happened to my car today as well, I installed a clutch and flywheel 2 weeks ago and it drove perfect. Then randomly today I went to go from 3rd to 4th and it wouldn't go anywhere. Looks like we're in the same boat...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

you need to remove the trans.

If it selects gears with the engine off, the gearbox is probably ok.

But for whatever reason, the clutch is not disengaging to allow you to select gears. Something could be badly damaged in there. ( clutch )
Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty much like what I had happen to me. Grind into gear, could be forced in, vibrating, etc. Went into gear just fine when the car was off.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...t-bearing.html

I have a different hydraulic setup than you, but you get the idea. Pretty sure mine was all pilot bearing failure.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Well I was finally able to drop the transmission today. The springs in the hub of the clutch were torn up. Three were completely ripped out of the holes, and one spring was bent in half. The three springs were just laying in between the pressure plate and the clutch. Luckily the new flywheel & pressure plate seem to be unharmed.

I'm hoping SPEC will back up their product. I have been searching online and quite a few other people have had the same issue within the first couple hundred/thousand miles of the clutch being installed.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Teching In

I think you all just diagnosed my tranny

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eleet
Well I was finally able to drop the transmission today. The springs in the hub of the clutch were torn up. Three were completely ripped out of the holes, and one spring was bent in half. The three springs were just laying in between the pressure plate and the clutch. Luckily the new flywheel & pressure plate seem to be unharmed.

I'm hoping SPEC will back up their product. I have been searching online and quite a few other people have had the same issue within the first couple hundred/thousand miles of the clutch being installed.
You need a solid centred plate, forget about spring loaded.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM

These are all problems I've had with my clutch. And I believe when I did my build it was a spring loaded center. Thanks guys hopefully this fixes my problem
Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Same thing happened to me cruising at 30mph i wasnt able to get into any gear. 2011 camaro ss 416 stroker ys1 supercharger.
it has a mantic 9000 clutch. I replaced slave and master cylinder. Still the same clutch seems to be fine. Any input guys? I bleed it several times.

Quick Reply: Weird T56/clutch issue - won't go into gear.