Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Future Clutch Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Clutch Swap

I'm starting to have hydraulic problems with the clutch on my 01 SS, so I'm starting to plan a full swap. The way I figure, if I'm already going to pull the tranny and crack the bellhousing, might as well do a full swap.

I'm already planning on going with a Tick Master and Slave, but I would like to see if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of clutch setup I should go for. Money is a little tight, so I want the most bang for my buck. I can't really afford to throw a SPEC in my car, as much as I would like to...so who is running a mild drag setup, and whatcha got? It's still my DD, so I don't want to put a stage 4 in and be spinning the slicks on the highway.

Centerforce used to be the sh*t, but I'm hearing bad things about them these days...

Anyway, like I said about the cash, I'm looking to spend about $500-700 on the clutch and flywheel AT MOST. I already know I'm in the ball park of $500 on the Tick stuff.

Thanks guys,

Chris
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm looking into monster, I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. I had a spec in my lt1, it was a piece of **** and they were total jerks when it came to customer service. Had the clutch in the car a week before the throwout went bad, and put all kinds of hot spots on the pressure plate and clutch itself. I had to take it out myself and take pictures and send it back, and they would only replace the bearing...not everything that the bad bearing had messed up.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking at clutches too and from my research it looks like you can't go wrong with Monster.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

What's the pricing like?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I've just taken possession of my WS6 after it was in the shop for a clutch replacement. I have a little less than 200 miles on my McLeod RST duel disk. I've been breaking it in driving it only red light-to-red light. And I even down shifted for every light.

I can find no fault at this point with the McLeod clutch. Pedal pressure is really sweet, about the same as the original. It is unbelievably smooth. Engine speed seems to determine how hard it grabs. It is smooth as glass until I attempt to pull away with more than minimum throttle and then it locks up aggressively. So I'm finding this clutch to be aggressive only when I want it be. The clutch aint cheap!

I like to blip my throttle and then use the clutch as a break on the revs to quickly return the revs back to idle. The point I'm going to make is that I can no longer do this with the new clutch. When the revs are up, the clutch locks up really hard and fast and you'd better be prepared for the lurch.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us a call and we'll get you into a Monster. We've got them on sale till the 4th of July, can't beat saving $150!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

The prices are competitive with everyone else it seems. They don't appear to be a "cheap" part and they do seem to be high quality so even if they are not the lowest price they may be the best value. They have a different levels or "stages" just like everyone else so I would call them to see what best suits your needs. I will be calling them on Monday to ask them about a clutch for mine.

Quick Reply: Future Clutch Swap