Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys I have a basically stock 01 SS with only cat back and k&n fipk. I was driving today to the store driving as normal and having no troubles when I shifted into 5th at around 50 mph. I accidentally let out on the clutch slightly faster than normal and I heard a loud pop and thought what the hell but it didn't make any noises until I got back into the throttle when there was a terrible rattling and chattering noise and the engine revved without any forward motion. Tried a different gear and same results with 3rd 4th or 5 th which I found out by accident just trying to pull a few hills as I was trying to get home (as I knew something was bad wrong) I didn't use 1st 2nd or 6th. I'm now hoping I just grenades the clutch but I have no idea. So I guess I'm looking for opinions on what's wrong and giving the info to the community for those who want to follow my troubles

Ok guys I finally found a thread that someone had posted that sounds exactly whats wrong with mine and it turned out to be clutch had broke. So I'm hoping that's what's wrong with mine. I can't really see how it could be anything else since it functions normally until you load the drivetrain by giving it more than a "tickle" of throttle. Still interested in opinions and advice. I know I won't know until I pull the tranny but at the very least I could use some advice on what clutch to get
Old 07-03-2012 | 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Revving with no motion in every gear certainly sounds like a clutch problem...like its not engaging. The popping noise I can't explain. As far as clutches go, I posted a thread a few days ago about a clutch swap im planning on doing in the next month. Everyone seemed to recommend Monster. Prices seem fair and the reviews look great. I suggest, if you are going to be in the bellhousing, swapping the slave cylinder as well. Monster sells kits that include a new slave at a discounted price.

Anyway, good luck to you. Im interested in hearing what the problem is. M6 trannys seem to be pretty reliable in my experience, and this is something I've never heard before.
Old 07-03-2012 | 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I certainly haven't ever heard of anything like this before either, and I got to searching around and it took quite a while but I finally found this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...6-problem.html

It seems this guy had the same problem - at least I'm hoping its the same problem - of course I won't know for sure until I tear it down. But if its happening to me in at least 3 gears and will move under very light throttle but as soon as you give it gas it starts "free revving" and making a lot of noise that seems to be clutch to me. If it was a serious problem with the tranny it seems like it would have to be something like the input shaft to do this in at least 3 gears, and if it was the input shaft it seems like it would do this no matter how light the throttle - that it just wouldn't work period. Am I right?
I like the sound of Monster clutches but I was looking at a SPEC clutch as well... I just haven't heard much about them.
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Def sounds like a clutch issue to me man usually the tranny will make more of metal grinding sounds when something goes in it. When you "popped" the clutch in gear it probably put a lot of strain on it and it just went. Most likely when you give a small amount of throttle it has just enough to spin the wheels but when you give it more the motor just slips right past the clutch.

I would go with either an ls7 clutch if you plan on staying just bolt ons or go with a Monster stage 1 or 2. Spec makes some good stuff though I havent ridden in a car with a spec i hear of some peopl having issues here and there and they almost always need to be shimmed correctly to work well.

The ls7 will drive just like stock and still a monster stage 1 should do the same. The stage 2 may be a little harsh at first but should settle in and drive damn close to stock so that would get my vote. I have a buddy with the monster stage 3 and while it is a badass clutch I dont like it for DDing its very grabby and chatters if you dont launch it right. Which is the nature of the beast with a puk clutch like the stage 3.

I will say this though monster and the ls7 should not and usually do not need a shim but you should always measure just to be safe, and also throw a new slave in there while its apart is 70 bucks for good insurance.
Old 07-03-2012 | 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks I appreciate the help! I will probably end up going with the monster stage 1 with new slave but I'm still shopping around a little. I just don't want to spend too much - I was looking to do a cam swap soon but I guess that'll be on the back burner for a little while. Thanks again for the recommendations
Old 07-03-2012 | 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Im prepping to a Monster stage 3. Tick Performance has a package that includes your choice of a Monster clutch, as well as new master and slave cylinders. I also have an 01 SS, and my master cylinder went not long ago. That Tick master is definitely the way to go.
Old 07-03-2012 | 05:35 PM
FormerVendor

It does sound like a clutch.

Give me a call and we'll get you taken care of, our sale ends tomorrow. I'll be up here till noon CST.
Old 07-06-2012 | 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Guys do you think that the monster stage 1 would be enough to hold a cam swap and headers? That's basically all I really want some where between 390 and 420 rwhp. I just don't really like the idea of spending a lot of money but I don't want to have to worry about it either. Especially since I plan on a few track runs a year
Old 07-06-2012 | 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

absolutely, the stage is an upgrade from an ls7 clutch which handles 440whp from a stock z06 so since it handles more than that with ease you should have issues
Old 07-06-2012 | 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds great. Right now I'm fighting wildfire with the US Forest Service so hopefully the funds will be here soon for the clutch anyway
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Ok guys I finally got the chance ot put in my new clutch and other than needing a little more bleeding on the hydros its repaired. I'm still not real sure what the problem was but it seems like its fixed - no more chattering and slipping when driving with a decent amount of throttle. I tried to diagnose what was wrong of course before we took anything apart and I assumed that I had severely broken the clutch disk itself, but other than being nearly worn out it looked fine. I'm still not sure what exactly happened but like I said it seems to be fixed after replacing the clutch. I hope that the clutch was just on its way out and I finished it off. Still a possibility that the tabs that hold the clutch disk hub to the disk was broken but I didn't grind the rivets and take it apart to verify. Just for y'all's info. Thanks for the advice and opinions!

Quick Reply: Tranny or clutch?