Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot bearing

What are the smytoms of a bad Pilot Bearing???
Please help.. at time releasing the clutch in traffic it shutters so bad that it feels like the tranny is moving.I have replaced the Trans mount with a poly mount.
Please help guys....Driving me nuts..

Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone????
Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

When my pilot bearing went out I couldn't put the car in gear at all unless the engine was off. I don't think what you're experiencing is a pilot bearing issue. Check your torque arm mount, that could need replacing.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by predatorz28
When my pilot bearing went out I couldn't put the car in gear at all unless the engine was off. I don't think what you're experiencing is a pilot bearing issue. Check your torque arm mount, that could need replacing.
Ive also replaced it with a poly a well...my car is extremaly low i was thing the angle is not right not sure...really crazy trans has been rebuilt.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

What clutch do you have?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thesource
What clutch do you have?
Spec stage 3
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you suspect your pilot bearing is going out then replace is ASAP! When my stock pilot went it chewed up my input shaft so bad that I had to replace it. When I pulled the trans the pilot was missing all of the needle bearings and had pretty much disintegrated. As far as the symptoms, it's been several years, but I remember it shuttering real bad. There was also some throw out bearing noise in the mix too in my case.

If it's your pilot bearing, then you'll need a blind hole pilot bearing tool from Harbor Freight. Works like a charm. I'm debating dropping my trans again to check on the health of my pilot b/c I've got another noise. If it's dead and the input shaft is okay then I'm considering either putting a bronze pilot bushing in (just look up one for a Muncie trans like a Chevelle or Camaro from the 60's), or going with a teflon pilot bushing.

Keep us posted on whats going on.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
If you suspect your pilot bearing is going out then replace is ASAP! When my stock pilot went it chewed up my input shaft so bad that I had to replace it. When I pulled the trans the pilot was missing all of the needle bearings and had pretty much disintegrated. As far as the symptoms, it's been several years, but I remember it shuttering real bad. There was also some throw out bearing noise in the mix too in my case.

If it's your pilot bearing, then you'll need a blind hole pilot bearing tool from Harbor Freight. Works like a charm. I'm debating dropping my trans again to check on the health of my pilot b/c I've got another noise. If it's dead and the input shaft is okay then I'm considering either putting a bronze pilot bushing in (just look up one for a Muncie trans like a Chevelle or Camaro from the 60's), or going with a teflon pilot bushing.

Keep us posted on whats going on.
Well that sounds like the true issue with the SHUTTERING and such ... man and this is my daily and IF this the case of a BAD piolet bearing then I will be PISSED cuz when I had the Trans rebuilt and new clutch installed I do not think they replaced it and of course it has 1500 miles and just went out of warrenty....
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Well, you don't know for sure that it's the pilot, but if you've got the ability you should drop the tranny and check things out. I think I'm going to get another slave and put it in mine when I drop mine soon, since it'll be right there anyway AND I've got some suspicious noises coming from that area.

You don't have to drop the clutch or the bell housing to check on the input shaft, just the tranny. She'll slide right on back. There are some good how to's out there that'll help show how to drop the trans if you've never done it before.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, and I hope you've still got your stock trans mount... Poly trans mounts are horrible about introducing a ton of vibes into the cabin. You could watch my floor mats dance across the floor when I had one. There are plenty of 9 second cars running a stock mount, so don't feel like you've got to run one.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

on this side of the internet...it sounds like clutch chatter.

did this start when you had the SPEC 3 installed?

that is an aggressive disc and can chatter in stop/go traffic if you slip it

"shaking" on engagement typically is chatter. adjust your engagement technique
Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This type of clutch is very aggressive and a poor choice for a DD. ****** is spot on as i have installed these clutches before. What is wrong with a chevy clutch for a DD. Just me could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing