Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO clutch replacement says dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO clutch replacement says dealership

My friend's 2005 GTO, 21000 miles. Stock clutch would barely disengage when pedal was to the floor but clutch would not slip any when driving. Rollbacked to GM Dealership. Expected Mechanic to say that the clutch's slave needs bled or replaced but that was not the case! Mechanic says that the entire clutch needs replaced. I find that hard to believe as does my friend (the owner); so he tells them to go ahead and find a HD clutch and install it and he wants the old parts to inspect and them to show him why they considered the entire clutch to be faulty.
With the symptoms described does replacing the entire clutch sound right?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

uggh no that sounds like the slave or master.... it MAY be the clutch however at 21k its highly unlikely especially when its not slipping....unless the dealer is doing it for free under warranty i would take it else where because a dealer clutch job is gonna be crazy expensive.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A disengage problem can not be attributed to the clutch itself until its pulled out and inspected. Based on just the problem at hand, first conclusion would be a release system issue (Bearing/slave/lines)...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to pick up my friend's GTO today since he is still recovering from major surgery. They put a new Flywheel, Pressure Plate, disc, and hydraulic/throwout bearing. They said it all comes in a kit. I saw the old parts....Flywheel had some hot spots on it as did the Pressure Plate and the disc had plenty of meat on it. They installed a heavy duty unit as directed by my friend......(whatever "heavy duty" means). Personally; I think replacing the throw out/hydraulic unit and bleedng it all would have fixed it just fine.....but $2000 later and here we are! Did not like the way that the new clutch engaged within an inch of the floor so I took it back. They looked at it and called my friend (under my request) and told him that GTOs have a tendacy to engage close to the floor like that and that the disc was probably thicker making the engage point closer to the floor vs the original. Took it home and it seemed to engage a little farther from the floor. hmmmmmm?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The clutch is a self adjusting unit and will engage close to the floor when new and then will move up as it breaks in. However if the original problem still persists then obviously something is wrong

Quick Reply: GTO clutch replacement says dealership