Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Safe to say this clutch is smoked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to say this clutch is smoked?

I noticed yesterday that my car was giving me trouble going into first and reverse while the car was running. I had to shut the car off, put it into gear, and then start it. I did some reading and judging by the fact the bell housing is saturated with some sort of fluid (I assumed oil all this time) I figure it's about time to replace the slave cylinder. In doing so, I wanted to take a look at the clutch to see what condition it's in (I've only put 10k miles on this car since I bought it, with 121,000 on it). Judging by these pictures, would everyone agree this clutch is ruined?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look at your release bearing. When you said you couldn't get it into gears told me that your clutch isn't releasing, which is caused by air in the hydraulics most of the time, and fluid leaking screams that you popped your release bearing, lost the fluid, saturated the clutch and killed it.

The clutch itself had some friction material left, but the fluid is what actually ruined the clutch.

Last edited by Tbird232ci; 07-15-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good deal of heat and wear (both of which happen normally as a result of usage but the presence of fluid in the bell made this greater). Since you can;t really clean the disc, and since you have already pulled the parts go ahead and put a new kit in! You should also opt for a new slave in as well (since the slave is mounted inside the bell and since it is a potential source for the fluid leak). I also suggest checking the rear-main seal too, as it may have also been responsible for your contamination. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further.

If you ware interested in clutch options take a look at the link below. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2002/Single

Quick Reply: Safe to say this clutch is smoked?