Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Whining

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My T56 had some light whine and the rocks in a shoebox sound prior to rebuild. I found the mainshaft bearing preload was a little on the loose side. After tightening it up to tremac spec, it was much quieter.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I discovered this thread after doing a search for information on T56 noises. Mine is a magnum that had a 4th gear whine from the day I installed it (new). I recently sent 1-4 gears to Liberty's to be faceplated. When I got the gears back I put everything together and now have about 500 miles and a few 1/4 mile passes on it. Right after I got it back in I noticed a slight vibration noise at idle that got more noticeable as it warmed up. At first I thought it was header tubes vibrating or something lose. Now that noise has become a lot louder and today it actually concerned me.

Another thing is, even though it is faceplated, 4th gear grinds and is not easy to engage. I plan to call Brad at Liberty's tomorrow but thought I'd see if anybody here has any ideas. I'll probably pull it apart next week and check it out.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whinning noise in manual transmission

2012 ss transformer has that same whinning noise especially when I get on it from 1st to second and third . Actually I like the noise but my mechanic and i wonder if this is normal. We put redline fluid in . It did help a little under normal driving only.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whinning

Originally Posted by jayjay77
It really sounds like a gear whine, I don't expect for some to tell me excatly what the problem is. I'd just like to know if anyone else is having any gear or whining problems with their T-56 Transmissions.
Yes.. I have 2012 ss bumblebee and it whines. Really I like the sound but I dont know if there is a problem or not. Mechanic put in redline only helped a little. Noise is louder when getting on it hard.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any additive that could help the tranny shift and reduce the whining
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There a full load of people making transmission oils and additives out there. All try to market them with benefit claims . Few are substantiated. Some of these don't live up to the hype . If you're lucky , you don' t add something that will cause harm. Adding something or a "special" oil will not resolve poorly shimmed transmissions or worn bearings or a mis- aligned bell issues.
Also, do you have an aftermarket shifter/ cut body trim boot/ non- isolated upper shift handle ? all of these can make quite a difference what you hear in the car. Check these things out before you go for a goo mix.

Quick Reply: T-56 Whining