Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunking when shifting 04 gto M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clunking when shifting 04 gto M6

Hey guys, I just recently got myself an 04 gto m6 with about 60k miles on it. This is my first manual car and first muscle car. When shifting in low gears I hear a clunking noise it quite noticeable. To describe it is like a clun-clunk (if that helps) I have read on some service announcements about similar issues well mine is used without a manufacture warranty (I did purchase one from "vehicle one"). My main question is what is causing this noise? Also, is it harmful to the car? If you need any more details just ask, thank you all!

As of now Im worried I bought myself a lemon
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Are you having any other problems? I wouldn't call it a lemon because there is a noise. My trans am makes a clunk when I let out on the clutch in first. But it's from the rear end. I think I just have some slop or play in it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Teching In

I did have a previous problem, a bolt came out of the rear end. Previous owner did a backyard exhaust job (pretty sure he didnt understand torque specs) I put in new bolts with red lock tight, In other words they wont come out on their own again!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the noise you have is from shuttling fore/ aft between gears as the car is moving....just playing with the shifter, this is normal. You will hear the synchronizers indexing the gears as you engage them. As was mentioned a loose ring/ pinion set-up will add to the index noise. If you think about it, you are hearing the wind-up ( lash) of the whole drive train . A thumping clunk is more than a noise and can indicate other concerns, like fractured torque arm mounts or x-member mounts....I don't think that is what you have here.

Quick Reply: Clunking when shifting 04 gto M6