Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Tick master, still can't shift at high rpms, is it my trans or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Tick master, still can't shift at high rpms, is it my trans or clutch?

I installed a tick adjustable to cure my pedal going soft and sticking at shifts above 5800 rpms and am still having the same problem. It only seems to occur during the 2-3 shift sometimes, but definitely the 3-4 shift. Sometimes I can get it into 4th gear but the clutch pedal will be stuck to the floor and I have to wait about 10 seconds while pumping the pedal to get it to come back to life. This is in a 2001 camaro with about 450 to the wheels and a ls6 clutch. I know I am over the limit of the ls6 clutch but it does not seem to be slipping and am going to replace it with a monster stage 2 or 3 soon, will that fix the problem or should I be budgeting for a trans rebuild too? There is no grinding or anything from the trans, but this problem kind of defeats the whole purpose of the car Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep seeing these threads pop up over and over again. My brother has a stock LS6 clutch and I have a stock LS1 clutch. We both have trouble shifting past 5500rpms. Getting locked out of gear, getting notchy while shifting, pedal getting spongey or sticking to the floor and having to pump the crap out of it to make it come back to life.

The same old advice was given to us, "replace the slave! replace the master!". We both replaced out slaves, no results. We both replaced our master cylinders, no results. We both did the drill mod to the master cylinders, no results. And then thread after thread I see people saying the Tick Master will solve their high rpm shifting problems (people with stock clutches) and then it doesn't fix it.

I'm still on my rant about it being that stupid self adjusting pressure plate in the LS1, LS6, and LS7 clutches failing some how at high rpms and locking people out of gear. Year after year I see thread after thread made where people are getting locked out of gear and pedal sticking to the floor at high rpms and everytime everyone tells them the same thing about needing to replace the slave and/or master and I can't recall one time it actually fixing their problem unless the master or slave was literally broken or leaking.

My brother is finally going to order a Monster Stage 2 clutch from Tick Performance to see if it's that crummy self adjusting pressure plate once and for all. I just think as a community on LS1tech we keep telling everyone to replace the master, and then if it's not that replace the slave, and it's just not fixing anyone's high shifting problems to replace the master and slave unless it is actually a broken/ leaking master or slave which is rarely the case. Am I alone on this?

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 07-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm I have problems shifting at over 5800 rpm's also, my pedal doesnt go soft, or stick to the floor....it just locks me out, and i have to wait until the revs fall back a little before it will let me shift. At first I thought I was just bad at shifting, but after a few experiments, it's deff not me....

I thought a Tick would fix this, now im not so sure..... Stock 2002 WS6 Clutch.. ."ls6??"
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baalic
Stock 2002 WS6 Clutch.. ."ls6??"
Correct.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well im just 2 weeks out from having everything replaced with a TICK MASTER and NEW updated Slave along with the LS7 clutch kit.

already have it all just waiting to go have it put in.

and I better not be having NONE of these problems that we all have. NOT AFTER SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY I will be one pissed off ****.....LOL
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem and was told the same solutions...but did come to find out the slave was leaking. So, I'm in the process of replacing all this now and we'll see if this fixes the problem. Make sure not to drive you car around with a leaky slave, it blows **** up! lol!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the only real way, unfortunately, is to have a quality aftermarket clutch and master cylinder. I've dealt with the problem in both my 97 and 01 cars. My old 97 LS1 car had an LS7 clutch and stock hydraulics, and could never get 3rd gear wide open. My current car had the same issue, but not so severe, 3rd gear was fine, 4th gear was the problem. I installed a Monster Stage 2 and Tick Master Cylinder with a new GM slave about a year and a half ago, and it gets USED a lot. Have never missed a shift since.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks guys, I think I am going with a monster stage 2 and the 28 lb. flywheel premium package. Maybe I can finally make a pass at Gateway. Thanks for everyone's input, any good sales going on for monster anywhere?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

GREAT!...just another thing to stress over..will i be lucky and not have a problem or not.

i think its just hit or miss
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I am no help to you , but I have the same problem! I can't seem to shift past 5200 RPM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by abeaver
Thanks guys, I think I am going with a monster stage 2 and the 28 lb. flywheel premium package. Maybe I can finally make a pass at Gateway. Thanks for everyone's input, any good sales going on for monster anywhere?
One suggestion: Get Monster's 18lb lightweight flywheel. I daily drive mine, and my wife can drive my car fine, and she's a complete newb to manuals. You won't notice the lightweight flywheel after a few drives. It's not as extreme as some of the other manufacturer's super lightweight aluminum flywheels (those I would NOT use). But their 18lb is a perfect balance, in my opinion. Even on a daily driver car.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

It's the clutch more than likely. PP gets weak and the fingers start sucking in then the release bearing can't reach it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
One suggestion: Get Monster's 18lb lightweight flywheel. I daily drive mine, and my wife can drive my car fine, and she's a complete newb to manuals. You won't notice the lightweight flywheel after a few drives. It's not as extreme as some of the other manufacturer's super lightweight aluminum flywheels (those I would NOT use). But their 18lb is a perfect balance, in my opinion. Even on a daily driver car.
My whole clutch ***. weighs 17-18 lb. Aluminum flies weigh 13lb.......13>18 anyday.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 AM
11 Second Club

i had the same problems back when i had a LS2 clutch and FW in my 99z28. changed out the clutch for a different one and that cured it.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It's the clutch more than likely. PP gets weak and the fingers start sucking in then the release bearing can't reach it.
I know what you mean. That's been my brother and I's theory for what is happening to us.

New master, new slave, drill mod, bled every way imaginable. Only thing I could think of is the pressure plate fingers are getting sucked in at high rpm like your saying. I remember joking with him saying I wonder if we could just shim the slave so the throw out bearing could reach the fingers when they get sucked in.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

surely this is a hit or miss....cause there are alot of LS7's out there that do not have this problem .......with lots of track passes.
unless they are not telling the truth.

and if i payed 50g's+ for a ZO6 and the clutch did that **** Id be one pissed of dude!

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 07-24-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I have a 98' ws6 with 42xxxkm. I had the dropping pedal problem and found that my clutch fluid was basically runny like water and black as hell. I finally got my Tick cylinder installed and I think I've adjusted it correctly. I had problems bleeding it with my mity vac so I took it out again and bench bled it. I just installed a mgw shifter too. Shifting is still real stiff and I was locked out of reverse gear before. I had to creep forward in first a bit and then it let me in reverse. As for shifting it seems to let me in almost every gear at high rpm without lockout. But it doesn't like 4th to 2nd shift at any time. I think it's just a bit better then what it was. It still feels like something isn't right though. I can shift my T5 super fast and never miss a gear even with the stock shifter. The T56 is like diffusing a bomb, you never know when .
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mistakleen
I have a 98' ws6 with 42xxxkm. I had the dropping pedal problem and found that my clutch fluid was basically runny like water and black as hell. I finally got my Tick cylinder installed and I think I've adjusted it correctly. I had problems bleeding it with my mity vac so I took it out again and bench bled it. I just installed a mgw shifter too. Shifting is still real stiff and I was locked out of reverse gear before. I had to creep forward in first a bit and then it let me in reverse. As for shifting it seems to let me in almost every gear at high rpm without lockout. But it doesn't like 4th to 2nd shift at any time. I think it's just a bit better then what it was. It still feels like something isn't right though. I can shift my T5 super fast and never miss a gear even with the stock shifter. The T56 is like diffusing a bomb, you never know when .
Did you do the rev test with the clutch disengaged and shifter in first gear to see if the car wanted to creep forward and move?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Did you do the rev test with the clutch disengaged and shifter in first gear to see if the car wanted to creep forward and move?
I just read it in your FAQ. Wasn't sure what you meant there. I'm going to drive the car tomorrow and will post back.

It could be the mgw too that's no helping the situation. It's not broken in at all right now. I was almost contemplating installing the original factory shifter just to see if it was easier to get into gear with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Teching In

I did the rev test and passed. I think I found a good adjustment point that I can live with. I took the car for a run today and didn't miss any gears.

I made a quick video of my mgw shifter and tick cyl and the pedal height.

here is my V6 slowmaro.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread btw . I would also agree that the stock clutch could be another issue. Thanks GM!

Quick Reply: Installed Tick master, still can't shift at high rpms, is it my trans or clutch?