Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bent throw out bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent throw out bearing?

This is the second time i have had this problem. Im not 100% sure why so im here looking for some help.

I have a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am, LT1, Borgwarner T56. Many of you know im sure but for those who might not be positive, It has the external slave cylinder and clutch fork. Unlike the Tremec wich has the internal set up. I have an SPEC stage 1 clutch in the vehicle.

The problem i am having is that once a summer the rear of the throw out bearing bends(looks like a potato chip). Because it bends, the clutch fork can now pivot farther foward, which causes it to contact the pressure plate. It stalls the vehicle when the clutch pedal is completly depressed. My pressure plate already has a nice groove machined in it from when it happend last year.

The bearing that came with the clutch failed last year. last year i replaced it with an OEM one. Now the OEM one has failed in the exact same manner.

What in the world could be Happening i here? My mind says that the pressure plate is to strong. But the bearing that came with it from SPEC failed in less than a year. I called SPEC and they repeated to me "90 Day warrenty" over and over again until i just gave up. When it happend originally i thought maybe just a factory defect. Apperently not the case. Any help of ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by Car Salesman; 07-26-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: I'm a terrible speller.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...earing-do.html
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW I got the "square" TO bearing with my SPEC 2+. It was OK, clutch was not. The only "other" ones I see from various clutches are all made in china and have the "point" part vs the square barrel.

what I did find in a side by side is the "square" one had a slightly thicker top

the supposed OEM GM # 1080 I have never seen but it is priced $125 and up depending where you find it.

SPEC claims they modify their PP for more clamp force which may lead to stress on TO bearing. They are not the only ones who do claim such a modification..as I bought a clutch where I watched them make it and how they "modify" clamp force and it did measure more and did have a heavier pedal feel which I assume would strain hydraulics and TO bearing...I had no issues with either though.

my $02 is the "china" source is the reason for failure.

As a side note LT1 'pull" PP bolt TQ is 22 ft lbs so more would cntribute to greater effort (stress) on TO bearing..but typically to much TQ on PP bolts results in disengegement issues meaning you can't get it in gear
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
my $02 is the "china" source is the reason for failure.
That would be my guess. OP, out of curiosity, does your PP say "Valeo" on it?

Quick Reply: Bent throw out bearing?