Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Magnum Notchy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Magnum Notchy?

Hi,
I would really love the opinions and suggestions of anyone running a T56 Magnum. Well, I've read its notchy and shifts terribly where I have also read it is a smooth shifting transmission?!
For $2895 for a new 700ft lb capable transmission, its a steal rather than buying a regular built T56 for $4000. I am not quite sure on what to buy. I don't mind the shifter location or the drveshaft length. I just need input on what to buy and why?

All information is dearly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TR6060 (which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as the T-56 Magnum) in my Viper is very smooth compared to the built T-56 I had in my old Camaro. I always had a hard time on the 2-3 upshift when driving my Camaro hard, but the Viper doesn't have this problem at all.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

The T56 Magnum is basically a TR6060 modified to be a replacement transmission for Fbodies and hot rods/engine conversions putting the shifter close to the standard Fbody position. The gear ratios are also better for high HP cars.

They shift light years ahead of the old '93-02 style Fbody transmission and pre '08 Vette transmissions. Stronger too obviously using better material on the shafts, wider gear faces, bigger bearings (take more load), a beefier case to help prevent flex, provisions for an oil sprayer, larger output shaft, no more "key" system, etc. There are also a number of shifter options for them to put the shift **** where you want it.

I sold my zero mile freshly rebuilt Fbody T56 in my LS7 powered RX-7 to install a T56 Magnum for all of those reasons. I like that 5th gear is .80 also which for road racing will keep me more in the powerband vs. the prior .75 ratio. 1-4 are the same ratios as the standard T56 box.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gnx7
The T56 Magnum is basically a TR6060 modified to be a replacement transmission for Fbodies and hot rods/engine conversions putting the shifter close to the standard Fbody position. The gear ratios are also better for high HP cars.

They shift light years ahead of the old '93-02 style Fbody transmission and pre '08 Vette transmissions. Stronger too obviously using better material on the shafts, wider gear faces, bigger bearings (take more load), a beefier case to help prevent flex, provisions for an oil sprayer, larger output shaft, no more "key" system, etc. There are also a number of shifter options for them to put the shift **** where you want it.

I sold my zero mile freshly rebuilt Fbody T56 in my LS7 powered RX-7 to install a T56 Magnum for all of those reasons. I like that 5th gear is .80 also which for road racing will keep me more in the powerband vs. the prior .75 ratio. 1-4 are the same ratios as the standard T56 box.
Thank you guys for chiming in. Does it really shift as smooth as advertised? I have spoken to RPM Transmissions and they state it shifts terribly and better to buy a BUILT Level 6 MAGNUM than a normal Magnum. I won't be pushing more than 600ft lb and maybe 650hp to the flywheel. Their Level 6 costs $4395 and a normal one runs for $2895. I won't run it at the track and its a daily driven vehicle but I want the smoothness and durability too.

Thanks a lot.
All input is appreciated
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Sowaidi- If RPM is telling you that a MAGNUM shifts like crap and that you need their "Level 6 Upgrade" here are two things I strongly recommend you do... 1.) Disregard the person you spoke to's comments, and 2.) take your business elsewhere. I don't want to start a flame war with anyone who is an RPM supporter--I've heard good thing about them in the past myself. However, the comment that a Magnum shifts "terribly" is ludacrous. Sounds like they are just feeding you a line and trying to empty your wallet if that is infact what they said.

Now if they were talking about the Magnum versus a TKO or maybe an older T-56, then maybe I could see it (I still think "terribly" is a gross exaggeration). But a standard Magnum to their 'Level 1000 whatever'? No. Magnum's are sweet right out of the box. If you're building a badass street car, then I firmly believe there is nothing better out there, strength and shift quality-wise. P.S.-- I say this as a Magnum owner who has owned/driven several T-5's, 3550/TKO's, and T-56's.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe these forums are for exchanging opinions and I myself do not want to start any wars or conflicts since I've used RPM in the past and it is always of benefit to hear it from the users themselves. I am not bashing RPM since they offer excellent product and services. They may have thought of providing me with the best since they think in matters of drag racers and abusers.
Rycertr94_ I thank you and all the guys for such honest reviews of the transmissions and I hope for the best for all of us.

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another thing to add: I am an RPM user myself and have used their product in the past and it is excellent in quality and customer support. I just don't want anyone interested in their products to shy away by reading this thread.

Thanks again for suggestions and input.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sowaidi
Hi,
I would really love the opinions and suggestions of anyone running a T56 Magnum. Well, I've read its notchy and shifts terribly where I have also read it is a smooth shifting transmission?!
For $2895 for a new 700ft lb capable transmission, its a steal rather than buying a regular built T56 for $4000. I am not quite sure on what to buy. I don't mind the shifter location or the drveshaft length. I just need input on what to buy and why?

All information is dearly appreciated.
Thanks
Providing the clutch is in proper working order and adjusted correctly, the Magnum is going to shift as smooth or smoother than your average T56 especially the ones that use a standard syncro ring.

The draw backs of the Magnum/TR6060 in my opinion is that they are less forgiving when you miss a shift or the clutch isn't working properly. The engagement teeth are quite a bit smaller and get smashed up pretty quick compared to a regular T56.

For $2900, the Magum offers good value providing the end user is willing to modify their cars around the unit to make it work. If you start having to modify the unit to fit a certain application, the value gets eaten up pretty quickly. There are pros and cons to going the Magnum route and little by little Tremec is trying to phase out T56 stuff so I won't be surprised if the parts get so costly that unless someone steps up and starts repopping parts, more folks will go to a Magnum versus having their T56 built up.

Quick Reply: T56 Magnum Notchy?