Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Local T-56 Transmission Experts (Northern Virginia)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local T-56 Transmission Experts (Northern Virginia)?

Hello All,

I have a 2004 CTS-V that has intermittent kick back when shifting into second gear. I’ve already tried the easy stuff (flushed the trans fluid and clutch fluid [multiple times]) and that helped but did not resolve my problem. My assumption is that the blockers, synchronizer and likely the gear is worn.

The car is my daily driver so I really don’t want to have to ship the transmission off and have the car down for weeks and I also don’t need a $2K race transmission. I really just want the thing to drive the way it was supposed to from the factory and I’m hoping someone local might be willing to help.

Is there anyone locally that knows their way around these things that might be willing to lend a hand? I’ve got a nice home garage and I could get the transmission out, but I’m not confident enough to start tearing into the internals without worrying that I would not put it back together right.

Thanks in advance,

-Thomas
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What will you do if the teardown reveals broken parts, put it back together broken and order the parts to do it all again in a few weeks?

At least a known T56 shop should have most common repair parts in stock or close at hand. Doing it local really only works if you purchase a rebuild kit in advance for $500+ or commit to a Tick "stage" upgrade kit while it's apart..

With that said, if you're close to Frederick, MD, check out RKT Performance.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

I guess I would have to overnight parts or buy them off of RKT. I actually spoke with Rick the other week. Looks like he is doing some nice work and he is close enough that I could drive there. I think I just need a parts build though and not a full on rebuild. My car only has 36K on it.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Luckily the '04 CTS is basically the same internals as the GTO/C5-Z06 models so getting parts won't be too bad. Later models added some (GM-only) features like early engagement synchros and revised synchro retainers. Most likely you have broken shift fork pads since the solid 1-2 keys in the late-model T56s rarely break.

I'll offer my help as a last resort, since my schedule is about to get real busy real quick as Fall approaches, I'm still about 2hrs away from you. (And Rick will kill me since I work for beer ;-) )
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

If it is just a shift pad I am not sure if I will be happy or upset, lol. Now that I think about it that is totally what it could be, though there may be some other damage, too. The issue is intermittent and only occurs on up 1-2 upshifts.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how far of a drive you'd be from us in Mount Airy, NC (just under the VA line) but we could knock out a Level 1 in just a day or two. If you drive to us to drop the transmission off and then pick it back up, you'd save $150 off the rebuild price listed on our website, as well. Did I mention the 1 Year Warranty?

Our Level One is right up your alley: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...adillac-cts-v/
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
I'm not sure how far of a drive you'd be from us in Mount Airy, NC (just under the VA line) but we could knock out a Level 1 in just a day or two. If you drive to us to drop the transmission off and then pick it back up, you'd save $150 off the rebuild price listed on our website, as well. Did I mention the 1 Year Warranty?

Our Level One is right up your alley: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...adillac-cts-v/

Beat me to it Joey!

Quick Reply: Local T-56 Transmission Experts (Northern Virginia)?