Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange noises and a BANG! T56/ possible driveshaft/ pinion angle issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange noises and a BANG! T56/ possible driveshaft/ pinion angle issues?

I bought my 95 Trans Am less than 2 weeks ago. Its got a 96 LT1 and trans in it and its been doing some funky things. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me narrow things down because I haven't had time to get it on stands and have someone help me run it so I can inspect whats going on.

#1- I get this light grinding noise at very slow speeds- only going forward. 95% of the time it happens as I'm letting the clutch out, about 1" from the end of the stroke. The other times it has made the noise as I was creeping in traffic in first off the clutch and started to accelerate.

#2- This just happened today, twice.. Both times I was in reverse and 1/2-3/4s of the way letting the clutch out to back up and there was a bang just as it got moving, not loud but enough to feel it everywhere in the car. I proceeded to reverse by letting the clutch out much more slowly and very light throttle.

Also I'm sure its asked often, but since I had to make a thread with these issues. What fluid do you guys to flush your trannies, and how often? I appreciate any help, thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Bump, anyone at all?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect the grind noise at vehicle launch is a gear rattle. This generally worse with a worn clutch or broken cushion spring(s). A thicker oil like Mobil 1 synthetic or like Synchromesh may belp. Letting the clutch out quicker will help as well.
The bang was likely revers jumping out of gear. This happens witha worn clutch tooth tip. Your set up is old enough to have that wear.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Thats what I'm thinking about the grinding noise as well.

As far as clutch issues, its new with 5k on it. Someone suggested that the torque arm/ trans mount might be the culprits and that things are shifting as I get moving. I know that the trans mount is poly, and I think I am getting some movement as the shifter movies 1/4" under hard throttle- also getting a lot of vibration at higher speed- but that could be the driveshaft/ wheels/ etc.

Thanks for the insight!

Quick Reply: Strange noises and a BANG! T56/ possible driveshaft/ pinion angle issues?