Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

do i need a master or slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need a master or slave cylinder?

hey guys, i had an F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch put in my 2000 z28 11,000 miles ago and now my clutch sticks to the floor after flooring it and some days i get in it and the clutch feels really spongy and other days feels pretty strong...of coarse when i had the clutch put in i didnt get a slave for it also because i thought i could do it later but didnt know it was inside the trans so do i need a new master (also stock) or a slave? i heard some people say it could possibly be the clutch but it only has 11,000 miles doubt thats the cause but hope to god its not the clutch. i was told to get a tick performance master and that should solve it but i dont wanna spend like $325 on one and that not fix it you know? let me know what you guys think. thanks in advance -alex
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are you using the car for? solely street? does the condition take place only after flooring it?

first thing i would do is check the return spring at the top of the clutch pedal assembly...if that spring is bent or broken it can lead to the clutch pedal sticking to the floor.

I would also check your clutch fluid...if its black or dark it means that the seals (in the MC) are degrading which would eventually lead to a loss of pressure...since you mentioned that the condition does not always take place, this may not be the case but its still worth checking since dirty fluid will impede the operation of the slave...sometimes.

A new MC may solve the problem if it is in fact the MC seals that are finished...

i wonder if your slave cylinder needs to be shimmed...i'm not really familiar with F1 racing clutches
Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my street car and would like to take it to the track a couple times a year after I fix the problem but it's slow to come up sometimes normal driving and sticks only after flooring it and I carry around a syringe and a bottle of premium clutch fluid when it starts to stick I check the fluid and it's between light gray and dark gray when it's supposed to be clear and I suck it out and pour more in and pump the clutch about 5-10 times. I've had the fluid turn pitch black and even had the reservoir go empty before
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had the resavior go empty before? You have a fluid leak somewhere. Get under the car and find out where it's coming from. If you have a leak more than likely air is getting in the system and that's why the pedal is getting spongey.

Quick Reply: do i need a master or slave cylinder?