Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO Clutch/Trans Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTO Clutch/Trans Woes

Hello all, I have an '06 GTO LS2/T56...

About 2 months ago my pilot bearing took a crap and took the input shaft out with it. Since I don't have anywhere to tear the car down at my apartment I had to take it in to a local shop owned by my buddy's parents. They replaced the input shaft and I bought a Zoom (Perfection) clutch kit through Advance to go back into this thing which came with; the organic clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cyl. / TB, and an oil impregnated bronze pilot bushing. I went with this kit because I wanted a near OEM feel and performance. Also the flywheel was resurfaced. Stock clutch had 80k miles on it and always performed great.

I've had the car back from the shop almost 2 months and I started hearing a rubbing / scratching sound when I depress the clutch to come to a complete stop and when I crank it first thing in the morning and put it in gear to take off. It will do it for a few seconds and then go away. This started happening a few days ago, and for the first couple of days it seemed that if I stood on the clutch pedal to get that wee little bit of extra travel from it that it would not make the noise, yesterday and today it still makes the noise no matter what I do.

I spoke with Martin @ Tick to see if they thought my clutch might not be fully disengaging and if I needed a new adjustable MC. They didn't seem to think that it is a hydraulic problem. Maybe more of a clutch disc problem.

The clutch always grabs great, never slips, its not hard to shift. Feels much stronger than the stock clutch but with light pedal feel. I have bleed the clutch twice to get any extra air out but that didn't seem to help. This noise sounds exactly like it did when the pilot bearing went out the last time just not nearly as bad...I dont have a bearing anymore, now I have a bushing.

I'm planning on taking the car in to the shop on Tuesday to see whats up but wanted you guy's thoughts on the matter. Getting tired of taking this thing into the shop. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most likely its the clutch causnig the problem the zoom perfection clutches are terrible and seem to fail almost instantly if your going with a new stock clutch get an exedy/luk as they are the oem suppliers to gm.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Teching In

With that being said, how do you supposed the first pilot pilot bearing went out with the stock clutch? I just replaced the clutch since I was in there already. The oem clutch was still in good shape.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

probably just age and wear the little roller bearings inside degrade with use and time its a common occurance
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Teching In

So why were you saying that its the Zoom clutch's fault this time? The clutch itself is operating perfectly. Just trying to understand your angle.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not saying the bushing failed this time as its hard for just a bushing to fail. But the clutch disc in there maybe coming apart and is still making contact with the flywheel when you push in the clutch causing the noise. These zoom clutches have a long history on here of just randomly coming apart of having the pressure plates fail (cheap chinese junk) Are you 100% sure the clutch is not slipping? Go out and do 55 ish in 6th gear and punch it if the rpms climb then its slipping. Also to be sure its disengaging jack you car off the ground and press in the clutch, put the shifter in first and bring the motors revs up if the wheels move with the clutch in then you have disengagement issues.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the disc was damaged or dragging then it would affect engagement/release. The OP says that the clutch seems to engage and release fine but that there is noise. The discription seems to point at a damaged or worn pilot bearing. This isn't indicative of a clutch assembly problem.

LoRollinLS, A Pilot-bearing can be affected by things like input-shaft condition, installation, and even crank-walk (Abnormal crank movement, typically fore and aft). I know you note replacing the shaft and you know the mechanic that handled the install and seem to be confident in their ability. Have you checked for the presence of crank-walk? Has the motor been rebuilt?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Checked many different ways for clutch slippage, its not slipping.

Spec-01, haven't checked for presence of crank walk, I will ask my guy to check it. Also no, the motor has not been rebuilt. Going into shop today to get a verdict. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem at all! Keep me posted and I will be happy to assist you further!

Quick Reply: GTO Clutch/Trans Woes