Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Powergrip problems need advice Im a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012 | 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Default Ram Powergrip problems need advice Im a newbie

Installed a RAM powergrip clutch kit with the new engine. Ever since then reverse has been a pain. I have had to turn off the car put it into reverse then turn the car on and back out of the parking spot. Here are all the symptoms.

1. Will not go into reverse or into first unless car is off and the key is turned to the on position.
2. When starting in either 1st or 2nd the car barely comes to life and jerks forward.
3. shifting is really rough, even with my MGW shifter.

Tech I took it to thinks it was not installed correctly, and thinks I need a master slave cylinder. I called Texas Speed and they say with that clutch I do not need a slave. So what are my options? Is the clutch now destroyed? Would it be better to just buy another clutch that does not need a slave when installed rather then putting a clutch back on thats been taking a beating. It has been this way since last night. Before that it would only not go into reverse so was not a MAJOR issue until last night.

So option 1 buy new clutch kit that does not need a slave and have it installed correctly, or buy the slave and hope the clutch is not dead.
Also should I talk to the mechanic about paying for damages, the clutch has maybe 2k miles on it, and its only in this condition because of their install.
Old 09-28-2012 | 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I also have a budget of about 4-500$ to get it bought and installed. Only a bit more if it really makes sense and will make the difference down the road. For example an extra 100$ taking it from a decent set up to a very reliable one.
Old 09-28-2012 | 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

If this is just an issue of clutch release it could in fact be related to a bad/weak Slave or Master Cylinder. When you release the pedal where does engagement occur? Is it low in reference of the pedals travel? Do you notice any change when you pump the clutch pedal? Have you tried bleeding the hydraulic system to alleviate air? If there is air in the system if will reduce the effectiveness of your hydraulics. Let me know so I can assist you further! Thanks,
Old 09-28-2012 | 03:54 PM
On The Tree

it does not engage until the last 2-3 inches of the pedal touching the floor. Same for when i release after about 2 inches it shoots back up. But as of last night it sticks A LOT almost every other shift. I have not bled it yet, still in the initial phase of trying to get all my options and ideas for problems.
Old 09-29-2012 | 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Drew-Bot
it does not engage until the last 2-3 inches of the pedal touching the floor. Same for when i release after about 2 inches it shoots back up. But as of last night it sticks A LOT almost every other shift. I have not bled it yet, still in the initial phase of trying to get all my options and ideas for problems.
Just to clarify - it engages (or starts to grab) at just off the floor or after 2" of clutch pedal travel?

The more you drive the car with this issue the more wear you are putting on the transmission internals, let's get this figured out asap.
Old 09-30-2012 | 08:01 PM
On The Tree

well now it just feels like its done. I cant put it in first from neutral unless i turn the car off ,same with reverse. And it just bucks in first VERY HARD and wont start up unless I give it gas. So to get out of a parking spot it takes about 20 feet and happens twice as fast as id like. Im having it towed to the shop because it is just not safe to drive like this.

Last edited by Drew-Bot; 09-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

If engagement is occuring that high then I wouldn't normally suspect a hydraulic issue but keep us posted and let us know your findings. Thanks
Old 10-01-2012 | 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Drew-Bot
well now it just feels like its done. I cant put it in first from neutral unless i turn the car off ,same with reverse. And it just bucks in first VERY HARD and wont start up unless I give it gas. So to get out of a parking spot it takes about 20 feet and happens twice as fast as id like. Im having it towed to the shop because it is just not safe to drive like this.
Not good

Keep us posted on what the shop finds when the remove everything.

I would also get on the phone with Ram and get their tech guys in the loop, if it's a warranty issue I'm sure they'll help.

Last edited by SNLPerformance; 10-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 11:26 AM
On The Tree

From what the guy at the shop said it sounds more like an installation problem. So it would be more on the warranty of the shop. Im not sure if I should give the shop a call and complain and ask for some type of refund or what. The thing holding me back is my parents back home where it was installed still use that mechanic and I don't want to cause any trouble with the mechanic for them. I have the worst feelings about mechanics sometimes, like they could intentionally harm the car then somehow play it off as just *wear and tear* done by my parents.

Last edited by Drew-Bot; 10-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Ram Powergrip problems need advice Im a newbie