Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

General Clutch Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General Clutch Rebuild Questions

I have an 04 CTS-V with a T-56 that I bought this summer and it seems like the clutch is slipping slightly. It only has 86k on it, but I didnt know the previous owners or how they drove.

Seems to be getting a little more difficult to get into 2nd gear and first and reverse give me a little trouble from time to time. Sometimes if i put the car into first without the brakes on (level ground) I feel feel the car creep ever so slightly. Under certain conditions, it feels as if it may slip a little too. Do these sound like symptoms of a bad clutch? Is 86k premature for a stock clutch?

Now on to the real question - what is a good stock type replacement? I dont want to get into a monster clutch or new flywheels or anything, just a good reliable stock clutch for a stock car. Any reviews on the RhinoPac or SACHS kits available on RockAuto?

Thanks in advance - PS ill put a remote bleeder in at the time of clutch replacement as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it all depends on previous owner's driving habits. new slave, speed bleeder a must for an easy bleed, Id go with ls7 clutch for a good pedal feel and without dropping some coin on a higher duty clutch depending what your power making/goal is (but you said the car is stock). my vote for ls7
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

As long as im in there I would replace the slave and bearings as well - no sense in leaving the old ones in there.

How much does an LS7 kit run? Is there an LS7 flywheel to go with it? I know Ive read of the LS7 clutch and a light flywheel, but never heard what it was off of.

Would a lighter fly help with some of the jerkiness that you get driving in slow stop and go city driving?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Our Level 1 clutch kit is a perfect stock replacement clutch. Give us a call @ 817-750-2000 for pricing as we are running a sale for the month of October.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

I was looking at the stage 1 on your site, but I am not really in the market for an $800 stock clutch. Im sure its great, but Im just looking to keep a little more coin in my pocket. Might pick up a used unit with a few thousand miles on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Our Level 1 is on sale right now. Basic package for 504.99 shipped. Slave Cylinder is an extra 195.00
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

hmm, 300 off is quite a bargain, but shows what your markup is...ha. You drive a hard bargain - Ill see if the wife will give me an advance on my allowance
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bacon
hmm, 300 off is quite a bargain, but shows what your markup is...ha. You drive a hard bargain - Ill see if the wife will give me an advance on my allowance
Actually... it's $125 off with free shipping. We do not offer basics for the CTSV (I was just letting you know what the pricing was on a basic plus the slave, sorry for the confusion) as we have to modify the slave cylinder to make the setup work with our clutches.

Either way, let us know if we can help you out!

Quick Reply: General Clutch Rebuild Questions