16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch talk

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch talk

I'll start this off with a little on the car, its not a drag car, its weight is 3000lbs, will eventually make 550hp to the ground (400 now) and its my drift car so the clutch see's a lot of abuse. I want the moi to be low and would like the lowest weight possible for the money. The 2 year warranty on the monster seems like itd pay for itself in my case. If I just buy a $500 stage 3 type clutch, then it'll probably need replacing after one season, thus equaling the cost of the monster

Options are in my preferred order at this point.

1. is $1200 with a speed bleeder and two year warranty!! I assume it to be the 2cd lightest option from talking with the rep and rebuild able. Not a fan of stock pedal feel though.

2. is a bit more pricey but the lightest I have found. No warranty. Before you jump on the spec sux wagon, Ive got 40K miles on my current but toast Spec 3+, with lots of racing and drifting.

3. because Ive always loved ACT's in my honda's and the pedal feel was insane!! I like a good stiff pressure plate. It looks to be heavier than the other two, not rebuild able?

4. Probably weighs the same as the ACT with the yella terra or ACT flywheel. This is the cheapest option @ $970

5. Can do a stage 1 ACT, spec 3+ again, monster lvl 1 and save some weight just with the flywheel.

Last edited by Jenson; 10-18-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if youre putting 400 down now i would look into the monster stage 2 at least, if not maybe level 3
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenson
I'll start this off with a little on the car, its not a drag car, its weight is 3000lbs, will eventually make 550hp to the ground (400 now) and its my drift car so the clutch see's a lot of abuse. I want the moi to be low and would like the lowest weight possible for the money. The 2 year warranty on the monster seems like itd pay for itself in my case. If I just buy a $500 stage 3 type clutch, then it'll probably need replacing after one season, thus equaling the cost of the monster

1. is $1200 with a speed bleeder and two year warranty!! I assume it to be the 2cd lightest option from talking with the rep and rebuild able. Not a fan of stock pedal feel though.

2. is a bit more pricey but the lightest I have found. No warranty. Before you jump on the spec sux wagon, Ive got 40K miles on my current but toast Spec 3+, with lots of racing and drifting.

3. because Ive always loved ACT's in my honda's and the pedal feel was insane!! I like a good stiff pressure plate. It looks to be heavier than the other two, not rebuild able?

4. Probably weighs the same as the ACT with the yella terra or ACT flywheel. This is the cheapest option @ $970

5. Can do a stage 1 ACT, spec 3+ again, monster lvl 1 and save some weight just with the flywheel.

What master is in the car? Pedal feel with our twin will be more like stock with a stock master. If the car has a Tick master it will be stiffer and that may be what you are looking for. Give us a call if you have any questions about our twins
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

If I do a full size clutch it'll have to be the ACT street (rated @ 725ftlb) and fidanza aluminum flywheel to shed some weight. Pretty good deal on that flywheel at 12.5#'s and replace able friction plate for $300.

I am running the stock master. I just drove my buddies hawk at lunch (said he thought his clutch was going out cuz he kept missing 3rd) and my 3+ definitely has more pedal pressure than his LS7. I flat shifted his car 1st to 4th 4 times back to back, no issues.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Jenson, Our kit has 120-day warranty. It is infinitly rebuildable and can even be upgraded to a triple-disc in the future if you ever need that option.

That being said, your power level doesn't necessitate a multi-disc so you could opt for an Aluminum pressure-plate version of our single disc (Stage 4 would be a great option) and our aluminum flywheel too. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

Our lightweight twin weighs in at 34 lbs with a MOI that is lower than anything you're referencing in this thread. It comes with a full 2 year warranty regardless of how it's used and is easily rebuilt for $499 - which also restarts your 2 year warranty.

When you look at it, you can't argue with the value and performance of this setup.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Part# SC09MT2 (our 7.25" mini-twin rated to 800lb.-ft at the crank and which uses an Aluminum flywheel ) has a weight of 20-lbs. If you want to go even lighter you can opt for a Carbon-Carbon assembly which is 14-lbs. That being said...I don't see anything else listed that is even close on MOI.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

I wasnt going for a twin based on the power level, more in hopes that it would last a bit longer and moi. I believe the monster twin is an 8.5", I could be wrong though, Steve? The 2 year warranty is an amazing deal, and its all USA made!!

A 20lb assembly would be great, 14lb=insane. Just when I was starting to lean toward a single disc ally setup...of course the ally flywheel did get me thinking that it may not be the greatest idea in a car with this much shock load and sustained high rev shock hits. Either way a SFI blanket is in order, I like my legs
Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

I've had several of these shipped out to several 240SX customers ... http://www.coloradospeed.com/monster...s-p-12532.html ... with the lighter flywheel option. Usually I suggest getting the GM flywheel and pressure plate bolts too. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

I wasnt going for a twin based on the power level, more in hopes that it would last a bit longer and moi. I believe the monster twin is an 8.5", I could be wrong though, Steve? The 2 year warranty is an amazing deal, and its all USA made!!

A 20lb assembly would be great, 14lb=insane. Just when I was starting to lean toward a single disc ally setup...of course the ally flywheel did get me thinking that it may not be the greatest idea in a car with this much shock load and sustained high rev shock hits. Either way a SFI blanket is in order, I like my legs
Yes you are correct. Our twin is a 8.5" unit. Also our warranty is awesome as you already mentioned.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Part# SC09MT2 (our 7.25" mini-twin rated to 800lb.-ft at the crank and which uses an Aluminum flywheel ) has a weight of 20-lbs. If you want to go even lighter you can opt for a Carbon-Carbon assembly which is 14-lbs. That being said...I don't see anything else listed that is even close on MOI.
Are the flywheel frictions replace able?

I guess both the mini twin and the monster twin are to new for any real world results at this point. I already have a new set of arp flywheel bolts.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Ive sort of gone off the deep end and have been researching/looking into 7.25" and 5.5" button setups all weekend. The bigger triple disc only weighs 14.5lb's, MOI at 85lb in.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

I'm torn between the monster twin with 18lb fly and a QM triple 7.25" button. Steve, what is the MOI on your twin setup with that flywheel? My concern on the really small stuff is not enough MOI to shock the tires into a spin coming off the E-brake.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Jensen, sorry for the delayed reponse. Our flywheel does use a bolt on friction surface and this can be bought separately. Additionally, the Mini-Twin has been available for some time and is in use in cars both here and abroad including being used in Australian and European Touring Car series racers.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 AM
12 Second Club

No problem Jeremy, I ended up pulling the trigger on a Quartermaster 7.25" button yesterday afternoon. I found out they are part of comp's vast empire and I get a 33% discount. Thanks for all the help fella's, I wish I could have purchased one from a LS1-tech sponsor.

Quick Reply: Clutch talk