Little Trouble with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Trouble with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch

So to start, the vehicle came with this set up when i purchased it
The car is a 1998 camaro Z28 with a t-56 tremec
i was told, and it became confirmed when i had a mechanic take a look at it, that is has a centerforce dual friction clutch with some type of 11lb racing flywheel (aluminum/billet?? im not sure)

Problem is..ever since i got the car its been doing this and i cant seem to find out if its normal or how to make it go away. When its cold out its almost impossible to get the car in reverse..it feels like the clutch pedal needs to be pushed down another 2 or 3 inches. Than when it warms up you can actually tell a difference in when the clutch is fully engaged vs when its cold from how far the pedal will actually come up.

Now to fix this on my own i took it to a shop, they told me it had a bad slave cylinder, so i got that replaced. The guy also told me there were a couple of hot spots on the clutch but its overall in very good shape.

So for about 2 days, everything was pretty much better. Clutch responded well and it didnt feel like i had to slam the thing in gear anymore. Than it went right back to the same it was.

So i looked online, found out our master cylinders suck, went and got a "drill mod" master cylinder off ebay (bored 3/4 or whatever it was). Worked a little bit better but its still a holy pain in the ***

Anyone?? is it just because its a high performance clutch..is there something wrong the the slave or master again..could it be the B&M short throw? (doubtful but who knows) or does it have anything to do with the aftermarket flywheel?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Teching In

i cant help but think its not good for the clutch, especially if its not fully engaging when i shift into different gears
Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have literally the exact same issue... reused a used Duel Friction from a 99 that was wrecked when I swapped over to a T56, hot spots on the flywheel.. etc
You can get it into reverse with the engine off easy as all hell though right? (at least I can, and have been doing )

From what I can tell the master cylinder was damaged in the accident, and the Duralast (I know, dumb choice, in a bind, don't hate lol) just isn't up to the task of handling the extra clamping pressure the clutch puts out.

I'd love a suggestion on what to do, as I've been contemplating getting a Tick Adjustable... but I just read a thread saying the pedal sits low, which the duralast I have now does too.

Edit: I noticed that after I let it sit for 2-3 weeks (Away at college), that I couldn't even put it into gear with the engine running (any gear), but that if I mity vac bled the hell out of it, it was fine for the week I was back, still couldn't put it into reverse with the engine running though.

Last edited by Fosnot; 10-19-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More info.

Quick Reply: Little Trouble with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch