Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplated T-56 opinions and questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Faceplated T-56 opinions and questions!

Just curious what you guys think about Faceplated Transmissions. Those of you who have a Faceplated Trans, do you drive it on the street at all? Or do you only use it on the strip? I know it says strip use only on the websites and Tick Shift and etc. But I also know a lot of people that use mods and drive cars that should only be on the strip anyway. I don't know much about faceplating so would street use actually hurt a faceplated transmission? Any knowledge or opinions are appreciated!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They up shift very well especially on the throttle but in situations where you have to down shift, especially in a hurry, it can be a challenge.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With street driving a facplated T56 would it damage the transmission? If driven correctly with rev matching?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

You're going to get a certain amount of burring for sure. How long it can be driven without having it disassembled and debarred is something that depends on abuse, clutch and driver ability.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a faceplated T56 in my 99 SS and put over 5000 street miles on it. A few things you need to know are, the trans is clunky. When you put it in gear at a stop you will get a positive "Whack!". This is normal but annoying to some. Downshifting is very easy. A quick blip of the throttle to match the RPM of the drivetrain and engine with a little pressure on the shifter and it will drop right in. One trick I learned while street driving my car is when you come to a stop put the trans in 5th gear with the clutch pressed in. This will stop all the internals, then put the shifter into 1st gear. It might not fall all the way in depending on where the gear stopped in relation to the slider. If it did not go all the way in slightly let out on the clutch pedal till you feel the shifter fall into gear. This will keep the trans from making the loud "WHACK" at every stop light and it will keep people from looking at you like your car is falling apart when you put the trans in gear to take off lol.

Street driving a faceplated trans will cause ware on the faceplates. But if you shift it fast and avoid clashing the faceplates against the sliders it will slow the ware considerably. I tore my trans down after 5000 miles and it still looked great.

If you have any questions at all feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info man! Mostly exactly what I needed to know. Yeah I'm good on downshifting and rev matching. I actually have a tutorial video on YouTube of how to rev match and downshift. I've ridden in a Trans Am WS.6 that had a faceplate Trans in it and at first I thought it was a dogbox Trans. But then the owner explained it to me and told me Tick Performance had built his. That thing shifted crazy quick!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I second what Jeremy said. You just have to get used to it and it's no big deal. I've taken mine on drag week the past 2 years with no problems. Just gotta be quick whenever you shift either direction. Double clutch it and no bang on upshifts. Downshifts I haven't really gotten down yet. I just wait till I'm slower than I need to be and quickly shift down one gear at a time. You'll get a little clunk but it's not bad....There will never be a synchronized trans in my car again.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I had a faceplated T56 in my 99 SS and put over 5000 street miles on it. A few things you need to know are, the trans is clunky. When you put it in gear at a stop you will get a positive "Whack!". This is normal but annoying to some. Downshifting is very easy. A quick blip of the throttle to match the RPM of the drivetrain and engine with a little pressure on the shifter and it will drop right in. One trick I learned while street driving my car is when you come to a stop put the trans in 5th gear with the clutch pressed in. This will stop all the internals, then put the shifter into 1st gear. It might not fall all the way in depending on where the gear stopped in relation to the slider. If it did not go all the way in slightly let out on the clutch pedal till you feel the shifter fall into gear. This will keep the trans from making the loud "WHACK" at every stop light and it will keep people from looking at you like your car is falling apart when you put the trans in gear to take off lol.

Street driving a faceplated trans will cause ware on the faceplates. But if you shift it fast and avoid clashing the faceplates against the sliders it will slow the ware considerably. I tore my trans down after 5000 miles and it still looked great.

If you have any questions at all feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. I was going to post about not sliding into gear from a stop depending on how the gear stops turning inside the trans....but that is covered in Jeremy's post as well.

I ran a faceplated trans for a while....I didn't street drive it, but I honestly wouldn't mind it. Upshifting is great, the more rpm and the quicker the shift the smoother it will be. Downshifting is ok with a quick rev before the shift.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to buy another LS1 F-Body, b/c I sold my Camaro b/c I just moved to Austin TX and needed the money. But I have a good job now and I think I'm going to buy another F-Body and just drive it the way it is until I get another cheap grocery getter and so I'll have something to drive while I have the F-body down for mods.

Quick Reply: Faceplated T-56 opinions and questions!