Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter issues after putting t56 back in

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter issues after putting t56 back in

This might possibly be a dumb question but I have done a lot of research over the past few weeks and have not been able to come to a conclusion, and before I go out and buy a MGW for no reason I feel I should post this. I purchased a stage 2 rebuild from the Gear Box and had it installed at a local tranny shop. I put it back in the car along with my long block. After getting everything put back together my shifter centers it self sometimes. Only when I push it to the drivers side it will sometimes re-center it self but when I push it towards the passenger side it sticks every time. Is this a centering spring problem or maybe internal? I did have a large cam on my old motor and the shifter rocked back and forth a lot at all conditions, could this have worn out my centering springs? Or should I consider taking this back out and back to the tranny shop?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the tranny has nothing to do with the shifter centering itself... unless you have a bent shift rail (doubtful) then its just the springs getting weak. depending on the shift you can shim the springs to make it tighter or get a new shifter like the mgw as you said.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Thanks. That's kind of what I was hoping was the case. Does anyone have a part number for th corrects springs or shims for a stock hurst shifter.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im pretty sure the hurst can be taken apart and the springs can be subbed for just generic hardware store stuff no big deal, however themgw is so much more than just a strong centering feel lol it will shift much better than the hurst does
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redbird555
im pretty sure the hurst can be taken apart and the springs can be subbed for just generic hardware store stuff no big deal, however themgw is so much more than just a strong centering feel lol it will shift much better than the hurst does
Iv never used one in an fbody but in a friends cobra it was pretty nice compared to mine but the mgw seems to be the way to go from what i see on here. I guess im ordering one tonight. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Shifter issues after putting t56 back in