Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel to Crank bolt pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel to Crank bolt pattern

Has anyone ever redrilled their SBC flywheel (1 piece seal version of course) to bolt up to an LS1? It seems like that should be easy enough for a machine shop. Perhaps putting the new LS1 pattern offset from the old SBC pattern like wheels that are drilled for 2 bolt circles??
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

The biggest problem I see there is that the LS requires a zero balance flywheel and the old SBC flywheel wasn't. What are you trying to accomplish? There are so many great flywheel options for the LS already!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MerkXRTurbo
The biggest problem I see there is that the LS requires a zero balance flywheel and the old SBC flywheel wasn't. What are you trying to accomplish? There are so many great flywheel options for the LS already!
And nary a one in the 153t variety...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was trying to figure out why someone couldn't modify an LT1 flywheel so they can use it along with the entire LT1 T56 trans, bellhousing, clutch set, hydraulics, fork, etc with an LSX. I know that you can change the 94+ LT1 t56 midplate, bellhousing, and input shaft to build an LS1 version, but that's several hundred dollars plus it still leaves one needing a clutch and hydraulics.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

The LT1 flywheel wasn't zero balanced either. A custom flywheel is NOT cheap, and any minor dollar savings would be lost here, not to mention giving up a wide variety of clutch options.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LT1 flywheel wasn't zero balanced either. A custom flywheel is NOT cheap, and any minor dollar savings would be lost here, not to mention giving up a wide variety of clutch options.
No, but a machine shop could easily mill the counterweight off and neutral balance the flywheel instead of buying a custom FW. As far as clutch options....I was talking about reusing the LT1 clutch, pp, release bearing, slave, fork, & master.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just love it if someone would build a (reasonably priced) 153t flywheel and starter. That would really open up the tranny swap choices...
Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Just to bring this back up - based on the topicstarter first message i can presume that the bolt pattern of an LS-motor is different to that of an LT1 motor?
There is a flywheel solution for putting a bmw-gearbox on an LS1 motor. In order to know if it's also possible to use this on a LT1 engine i need to know if the crankshaft bolt pattern is the same for both? This info is hard to find so i've measured the bolt pattern in order to get it out there Anyone know if this is the same for the LS bolt pattern?

Quick Reply: Flywheel to Crank bolt pattern