Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a new clutch for my 2000 ss camaro!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new clutch for my 2000 ss camaro!!!

So i am planning on doing this clutch myself and any advise and help would be awesome!! this is my first time so anything would be great!!! but my question was what would be the best clutch for me to get i just wanna get eventually around 500 hp on my camaro, what would be the best clutch kit for me? is there one that will come with everything i need like the throw out bearing and alignment tool? let me know like i said this will be my first time and i will be going by the thread i found on here for instuctions and steps. and what all do i really need? or should i get? i know a need the clutch and then i wanna change what ever i should like the pressure plate, throw out bearing what else?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster level 2... a little stiffer than stock, long life, great street manners and will hold 550 reliably.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Awesome thanks!! where can i buy that clutch at? i actually hear alot of good stuff about that one. and is there a kit where it comes with what i need? thanks for the reply!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Launching!

I bought a Monster stage 2 from Colorado Speed 3 months ago. They are one of the sponsors on the side bar. They are always running a special and are about as cheap as I found. You can also buy direct from Monster, they sometimes run specials. It is a smooth driving clutch. I haven't gotten mine broken in yet (garage queen) so I can't report on the hard shifting. The Monster clutches come with everything you need including a new slave cylinder (for an additional fee). Definitely replace the slave cylinder, cheap insurance. Add a remote bleeder also, bleeding with the stock fitting is a pita. Buy new flywheel and pressure plate bolts from your local dealership.

The flywheel bolts go into the inside of the engine. By this I mean that it is possible for oil to creep down the threads of the flywheel bolts and leak onto the clutch. New bolts come with the necessary thread sealant applied to them. The flywheel bolts are also torque-to-yield meaning they stretch when torqued and are not re-usable. This fact is greatly debated on this forum. But let me ask you, is the brand new (expensive) clutch you bought worth an additional $30 for bolts to make sure it lasts?

There are several write ups on this forum in the stickies on how to swap the clutch. Schedule plenty of time for swapping it out. It took me quite a while to do because I kept running into stupid problems. For instance, my torque wrench failed while torquing the flywheel bolts and stretched one. That cost me a new bolt (trip to dealership) and a new torque wrench.

Then when you get that installed buy the Tick master cylinder and a MGW short throw shifter. I love the feel of the clutch, master, and shifter coupled together.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

reinhardt02, hit the nail on the head!!! add remote bleeder also then your set . not a darn thing wrong with that setup same as mine had a couple people say it's stiff but thats fine built well..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the kind words guys, give us a call and we'll get you a smoking deal on a 2!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Teching In

ok i found the clutch and it has everything i need like you said cant wait till i have the money saved to do it all!! thanks alot for the replys i appreciate it, one more question tho. how many miles till the new clutch is broken in like after the install? thanks again!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

500 miles! It almost killed me! It took me 2 months to get that many miles on the garage queen. Smoothest driving clutch though, smoother than the stock clutch. I just broke 500 miles and had a chance to open it up, I like.

It is missing ONE thing though, new flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Make sure you go to your local dealership and buy new bolts. Cheap insurance. Also invest in a quality torque wrench. I would also recommend the Harbor freight scissor jack type transmission jack, that trans is heavy! Have fun. Report back on your install.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
500 miles! It almost killed me! It took me 2 months to get that many miles on the garage queen. Smoothest driving clutch though, smoother than the stock clutch. I just broke 500 miles and had a chance to open it up, I like.

It is missing ONE thing though, new flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Make sure you go to your local dealership and buy new bolts. Cheap insurance. Also invest in a quality torque wrench. I would also recommend the Harbor freight scissor jack type transmission jack, that trans is heavy! Have fun. Report back on your install.
GM Flywheel/Pressure plate bolts can be purchased through us as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

mantic Street Clutch Kit w/ ER2
http://www.coloradospeed.com/flywhee...2-p-38031.html

McLeod Racing Super StreetPRO Clutch Kit w/ Master Cylinder, 550 HP (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1)
http://www.coloradospeed.com/flywhee...1-p-27250.html

McLeod Racing Super StreetPRO Clutch Kit w/ Steel Billet Flywheel, 500 HP (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1, 1997-2002 Corvette & 2005-2006 GTO)
http://www.coloradospeed.com/flywhee...to-p-6542.html

McLeod Racing StreetPRO Clutch Kit w/ Steel Billet Flywheel, 400 HP (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1, 1997-2007 Corvette & 2005-2006 GTO)
http://www.coloradospeed.com/flywhee...to-p-8477.html

Last edited by COSPEED; 06-24-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls7 clutch period. If you 500 rear wheel is in the future then this is what you need for now. When you get to the 500 level then you are looking at a twin disk.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Check out tick performance. The stock master cylinder is a POS. You can pick up a monster stage 2 clutch kit, alignment tool, and a new master cylinder for around $1100 after shipping. The kit comes with the master and slave cylinders, flywheel, all the mounting hardware (an option when you go to order),and the clutch components. Great deal.

Quick Reply: Need a new clutch for my 2000 ss camaro!!!