Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how to tell for bad master or slave cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how to tell for bad master or slave cylinders?

Everyone on here says its my clutch. I find it hard to be considering that I am very good to my transmission. I don't miss gears. No burning smells. My only issue is that my car is having a hard time engaging in 1st gear and I gotta get it up to 3500rpms for it to move. Once the car is rolling I can shift semi normal. Can it possibly be the master or slave that can cause this. I have some pressure in the pedal but what are some tests that can be done before I fork out $1200 to fix a clutch that might be perfectly fine? The shops around here will try and say its a clutch regardless. Its hard to find honest mechanics where I am. I have one street mechanic that helps me out with most of my issues and charges me 1/4 of the price. I guess I can go to him if need be but before I do I wanna see if I can narrow it down. I haven't had any signs prior to 2 days ago that my clutch was slipping why now? I rather try to eliminate the small things before i go big and go broke with the big things. Could it be possible? Reverse seems to be ok and thats whats making me think I still have clutch.

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 11-24-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 884 Likes on 630 Posts

Steve from SNL posted earlier this week about this. He said to rest your foot on the clutch and see if it slowly bleeds down. If it does disconnect the line going to the slave and do the same thing. If it still bleeds down its the master and if it doesn't its the slave.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a new clutch that you were driving on fine and then it just started acting up out of the blue? I could use a little more detail on the history of what and when it started. Are the other gears ok? I mean you have to rev for it to move in 1st, what about 2nd?
I suppose its conceivable that your first gear is shot. Perhaps drain the tranny fluid and look for debris?
The more obvious choice would be yes, the clutch is shot and slipping so badly you need the high rpm, but it would likely do this in all gears. Its also possible your hydraulics busted and your clutch got wet, in which case its still shot and you need to clutch, hydraulics, etc. If this were the case you would more than likely be losing fluid. Does the resevior stay topped off?
Good luck

Quick Reply: how to tell for bad master or slave cylinders?