Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Competition Clutch Stg2 - Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Competition Clutch Stg2 - Troubleshooting

I had a Ram Powergrip blow up in my car while it was out being painted. (long story) Might have been the pilot bearing that took it out, but 1/3 of the clutch was gone when I pulled the trans.

I had the trans opened up and rebuilt while I waited for a new clutch. I love the clutch and it is perfect for what I need. Right off the bat though, I noticed a vibration from 1200-2500 like a dead miss, but and at high rpm, smooth as glass with no issues. Thought I had bad plugs or wires so I went through all that, and no change. Scanner shows nothing out of the ordinary and the opti is brand new delco with less than 1k on it. (same with o2's)

I've travel a lot for work so putting 500 miles on this thing has taken forever since it is a toy. I have 450 on it so far since September. Wednesday, I am driving and a LOUD humming, rubbing squaky sound. Like bad brakes on a semi and you could feel it in the shifter coming to a stop. Almost like the clutch was still spinning at high rpm and the flywheel wasn't (hard to explain) Push clutch in, same noise (in gear). I took it out of gear, it was still doing it until you let the clutch out and dead silent. It didn't do it at take off or driving, just coming to a stop, turning briefly, or at idle after coming to a stop.

My transmission guy drove the car and refused to let me take it until we dropped it out because it sounded like something was about to seize. He also mentioned the vibration once you try to hold throttle at 1500-2000, but also noticed that it clears up after 3k. We pulled the trans, and cannot see anything rubbing our out of the ordinary. Pilot is now a bronze bushing and shows no gouging or abnormal wear. He seems to think it is the TOB, but could it make THAT much noise?

According to the invoice he bought the clutch in August, so I think I am out of luck on a warranty but don't want to buy a new TOB and find out that isn't the problem or the vibration isn't gone. Looking at the PP there were no balance marks on the pads. I tried to contact CC to see if they had any ideas but they are closed for the holiday.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top notch customer service! Called this morning and they were already aware of my issue and they made a few suggestions to try out.

Good to know companies out there still take care of people no matter how small the issue.

Quick Reply: Competition Clutch Stg2 - Troubleshooting