Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 won't go from 6th to 5th, but fine 5th to 6th?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default T56 won't go from 6th to 5th, but fine 5th to 6th?!

Couple of months ago I got my conversion running (71 Cutlass w/L96-T56) and it ran great for a few weeks and then I had a massive leak inside my tranny; I pulled the tranny and replaced the clutch slave and finally drove it today for the first time. Happy with the way I have the slave bled and also how my tick adjustable master is set using their procedures.

During the drive I was able to shift fine into all gears going forward. However, it didn't seem to want to go into 5th from 6th (although it did at least once). Most times it was hard as if there were a wall--moving the shifter arm left/right didn't find me a hole. I had to slip into 4th and on down. This was not a problem in the first few weeks I initially had it running.

Only possible wrinkle that I can think of is that I couldn't install the shifter plate while the tranny was on the ground; had to install it thru my hole in the car and its pretty tight. I couldn't see the actual ball end of the shifter going into the dohicky (yeah, the technical term), but it seemed to and I would think it would have had to to get the action I am getting. But I don't really know. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'll not have another drive until later this week, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on what I've screwed up this time!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove it to work today; have a few more data points. Still can't go 6th to 5th, but 6th to fourth, then back to 5th. Also can't go 6th into 3rd. When in 3rd or 4th, can't go into second, but can go into 1st. Feels like I have to push the shifter really far to the left to make that happen.

Again, the tranny shifted just fine prior to pulling. I also topped off the tranny fluid just to be sure it had plenty (read somewhere else tranny fluid issues may cause).

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, pulled the shifter off tonite. everything looked fine. But...looking down I see no electrical connector to the reverse lockout solenoid. Went under car and saw that I had connected my connector to skip shift solenoid, which I don't use. That is probably the culprit. Reinstalled shifter (waiting for RTV seal to dry) and switched connector to correct solenoid. Tomorrow I'll tighten shifter bolts and drive on Wed. Crossing my fingers, but this seems to make some sense.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem on my 96 LT1/ T56 trans am. It will shift nice and firmly 1st-6th, then if I want to down shift in either 6th or 5th it will not engage. Feels Similar to the "skip shift" feature on my 99 LS1 Camaro, but on the Camaro it blocking when I want to shift up a gear, apparently to save gas or some GM B.S. there is an aftermarket skip shift eliminator to stop this.

I am going to add to the mix, does your car ever vibrate/ shutter? My car supposedly has a stage 2 clutch, and I thought this was a clutch issue.. But now you've got me thinking about it.

Did the shift solenoid plug fix the problem? I'm going to try to drive my car tomorrow with this in mind. Please keep updated!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to post and ask about my 6 speed, i pickup my car from the tuners and ran it hard at a toy race. after that point it would kind grind when going into 3rd, which in racing would worry me, yesterday i took a friend for a ride and banged out 3dr and 4th, now the it will go into 3rd fine, but 4th is now grindy (lol if that is a word) i can let off the gas and give a bit and shift then i will go in smooth or i can go from 3rd to 5th or 6th and then to 4th and it goes in fine. when it was doing this in 3rd i thought it might be syncros but now its moved to 4th??? Just wondering if anyone has seen/experianced this same issue. I would rathe rhave ur issue OP than mine as I have a race this weekend and i dont use 5th
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove it this morning and everything shifts fine now. So either powering up the CAGS and/or no power to the reverse lock out caused the problem. Don't think I'll make that little connection mistake again.

Quick Reply: T56 won't go from 6th to 5th, but fine 5th to 6th?!