Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec clutch 2 months and its shot

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spec clutch 2 months and its shot

Bought a spec stage 2+,not even 2 months ago,well took the car in and i was told the clutch is shot, i mean down to the rivits shot,who has had an issue like this,i had a very good shop put it in and it was shimmed correctly,this isnt a car i beat on whatsoever,i did the break in period to the t,is spec really that bad? This is crazy to me
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Captain Double Post

I will have pics and all that very soon,but this is bullshit imo,does anyone know who i can contact to maybe help out,is there a sppec sponser on this site?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one in my LT1, Put about 3k on her and the throw out bearing went out, may be un-related. I always hear bad things about SPEC.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Captain Double Post

Well ws6 store guys called back asap, thanks so much,i feel after just talking to the spec rep that this could be difficult to get resolved,but im off to get pics and we will see what happens,
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Captain Double Post

But i would like to hear from people that had similiar issues,i mean if a certified mechanic/machinist cant install a spec clutch its something i would stay away from lol
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Captain Double Post

Ok was shocked on how much help jermey at spec offered,like i said when i find out more about what happend i will post whats up,sorry my first few post i was pretty upset,but still would like to know other storys
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also heard a few bad things about their clutches, but they always back up their products soo they should take care of it.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
But i would like to hear from people that had similiar issues
Mine lasted about 2500 miles and had 12-16 passes on it....it died (pics). new FW, break-in, etc. Both FW and PP were sent to machine shop for neutral balance before install. For me, it failed faster than expected.

Your failure may be product or install/operational in nature but having a professional shop install and following break-in procedure and not racing initialy would indicate product short comings. If for some reason the clutch was installed in a way that allowed it to slip than rapid wear would occur but you should be able to tell when driving...or smell

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Ok was shocked on how much help jermey at spec offered,like i said when i find out more about what happend i will post whats up,sorry my first few post i was pretty upset,but still would like to know other storys
jeromy is very attentive to customer support. I also found them to be good as the 1st 2+ sent to me had a bad PP which was obvious on visual inspection right out of the box. SPEC promply replaced it and sent RA and shipping label to return WITH the new PP they sent. Good on them for responding that way

Jeromy runs a 2+ in his car as he claims with no issues. Don't know if he drags the car

post the pics and advise what SPEC indicates as cause.
Attached Thumbnails spec clutch 2 months and its shot-lt-1-clutches-086.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

He Bob, once you get the parts out send the pics to me for further assessment. I know the general mindset is that if there is an issue with a clutch that it must be the result of a parts related shortcoming but that isn't generally the case. There are a number of factors that affect clutch function, as I am sure you know. Keep me posted!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Ok i have a question for anyone that has had spec issues,and spec 01 i appreciate your help to this point but i have to get this car running and i dont have time to do the back n fourth thing without a quick resolution to the problem, i just wanna know is this going to play out like it has for others,since the pics i heard that the clutch wasnt seated (trust me the break in period was done via specs info,and that debris could have caused this,i just do not wanna go through the hassel of sending it in,waiting a week and hearing yep debris caused it is not under warranty, with the end results in me buying another clutch,i mean from what others told me im one step away from sending it in and hearing the same words,actually the call it specs motto which i thought was funny,what do you guys think,this post is not to bash spec in anyway or say the have horrible customer service, im just trying to get this car running asap without me hitting the fan, opinions anyone
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Bob, I am happy to help and more than happy to examine the parts if you like (I have offered this option already. I am not sure how I am suppose to assess warranty without being given the opportunity to assess the parts. I will do what I can to help you either way. Seating of the material affects the color and texture, making it pretty clear if the parts have been bedded in fully or not. Just let me know if you need an RMA and I will be happy to assist.

As for the parts being worn out, what was your measured disc thickness? This will provide info on the amount of wear present. You note that the disc appears to be worn excessively but thickness will provide greater insight. Let me know. Thanks,
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Captain Double Post

Spec01,i totally understand your willing to help etc,i just had to get something going asap,not a shot at you whatsoever,jjust from speaking with other members i just decided to take the loss for now,when i get the new clutch i ordered installed i will send ya the bad clutch,you have been willing to help,and i understand seeing pics then needing to see the clutch in hand to make a call if the clutch was actually to blame,i just didnt have the time to wait,i know it was installed correct, the break in was correct,and my trans had a newer rebuild 2 years ago,this was just beyond frustrating, but this thread was to never bash you in anyway,you have called me back and have been willing to help,it was for my own knowledge if i was going to waste more time than i already have,but i will contact you early next week and make arangments to send it in,i made a decision to buy another clutch from feedback from members that had similar incidents that i did .and if the monster clutch craps out within 2 months i will know i have other issues
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a Spec clutch once, and never again. my brother had one to and it was a big POS! any clutch that needs a custom shim just to operate is a poor design. i switched to an LS7 clutch and have not had any issues since, and i have about 50 passes with up to 3k rpm dumps on it. my spec lasted about 4 months, no track passes, and installed by a shop.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep mine came with a shot Spec stage 2, and I replaced it with a McLeod RST twin disk. All the car had was Nitto dr's on stock 17's, so i'm surprised it killed that clutch
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Bob, Just keep me posted.
Trans, as I have noted previously, the shim and associated measurement sheet are provided in an effort to remedy variances found in each car related to things like bearing/slave depth which have been seen to be as great as 1/4" from one OE part to another.
HCI, it's hard to know what the situation was with your kit since the car and thus the clutch was used.

Last edited by SPEC-01; 01-08-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Running the spec stage 3 in my car has about 1500 miles seems great so far.
Making mid 500's to the rear wheels.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

So much negativity toward spec...lol. My brothers and I have always used spec clutches and never had a problem. I used the same spec stage 3 behind two different engines with several 6000 rpm launches with slicks and never had problems. I dont know how many miles were on it but I would guess 10,000 or so when I sold the car.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a crazy good deal on a BNIB spec, sadly its only a stage one, but we will see how long it holds up. The stock one was killed anyway
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My lt1 spec story goes like this.

Had a shop install their clutch for 300 bucks, almost 3 days later still during the break in period started hearing god awful noises and was told the T/O bearing was bad.

Contacted spec very straightforward saying they needed pics to see the damage. As I couldn't pay a mechanic a second time to re do everything and have my car sitting there till they decide what to do, I had to drop the tranny and everything.

Get it out, flywheel/pressure plate is hot spotted and bearing is bad. I send it off saying I want a new clutch bc of the damage the bad bearing has caused. I got nothing but a bearing and the turnaround time was around 2-3 weeks.

Never again.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple of specs sitting in the basement. A 3 and a 3+ both of these were when the car was H/C. Both were installed by what should have been reputable shops but neither worked for me. I went with the ls7 and still think it is the best clutch for a H/C car.

Quick Reply: spec clutch 2 months and its shot