Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much throw-out bearing travel to disengage OEM LS6 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much throw-out bearing travel to disengage OEM LS6 clutch?

I'm presently setting up a Quartermaster "Street Series" hydraulic TOB for use in the Panoz. Mating a TKO600 to a stock LS1 via a QuickTime bellhousing. I'm using a GM bolt-pattern trans and bellhousing. I'm using an OEM LS6 pressure plate and disk with a chromoly light-weight flywheel.

The TOB specs call for .18" - .25" free play between the bearing face and the clutch fingers with the bearing 100% compressed.

It also states the max bearing travel is 0.625". I've read the rule of thumb is to leave .050" travel before the TOB bottoms out. This means I would have .575" of total travel. If I setup the free play at the specified .18" - .25" I only have 0.395-0.325" of travel before I'm close to bottoming out the TOB against the snap ring.... I.e. max extension.

I read in a RAM TOB setup guide that the average clutch takes 0.400 - 0.500" of TOB travel to disengage. If that's the case with the OEM LS6 clutch then the quatermaster street TOB doesn't provide enough total travel to have the specified setup gap and operate the clutch.

The instructions all have estimated TOB travel distances for various sizes of Quartermaster clutches and they're all in the 0.13 - 0.18" range... much less than 0.400 - 0.500".

Quartermaster's tech folks said the one I have is the one for any/all street clutches.

SO... does anyone know the typical TOB travel needed to release a stock LS6/LS1 clutch?

Thanks,

Brian

This unit

Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody? Anyone ever put a clutch assembly on a press and see how much it took to disengage the pressure plate?

Went ahead and put it all together. Will take my spare LS6 clutch to my buddy's shop and put it on the press to see how much it takes to ensure I won't bottom out the TOB.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 12-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know? Haven't taken my spare clutch to the machine shop yet and don't have a shop press.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been needing to buy a shop press for awhile anyway... It takes 0.25" to 0.31" (1/4" to 5/16") to release the OEM clutch.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

I am using the QMI bearing in my GTO. This might help:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...n-2-0-a-2.html

Make sure that you install a clutch pedal stop. The QMI bearing will rip a seal if it is over traveled. Ask me how I know...LOL

When you measured the travel to release your clutch, what kind of air gap did were you shooting for between the disk and pressure plate?

Andrew
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I have a pedal stop in place already. Since I'm using the OEM self-adjusting pressure plate I set the air gap on the tighter side at 0.13". QM recommended 0.18-0.25" of gap. With the OEM clutch the fingers will only rise so much before the adjuster kicks in and moves the entire pivot point down to maintain finger geometry.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yes I have a pedal stop in place already. Since I'm using the OEM self-adjusting pressure plate I set the air gap on the tighter side at 0.13". QM recommended 0.18-0.25" of gap. With the OEM clutch the fingers will only rise so much before the adjuster kicks in and moves the entire pivot point down to maintain finger geometry.
I was referring to the air gap when the clutch is released. In order for there to be a clean release, there is a recommended air gap that must be established between the clutch disk and the pressure plate (or flywheel). When you installed the clutch in the press, how did you determine that the clutch was in fact fully released when you came up with the .25-.31" distance?

Stock type organic clutches will need approximately .090" between the disk and pressure plate in order not to "drag" when shifting.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh... I put the clutch alignment tool in the disk and operated the press until I could turn it by hand. I didn't measure that part.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Oh... I put the clutch alignment tool in the disk and operated the press until I could turn it by hand. I didn't measure that part.
You may want to repeat it. Push down with the press until you can slip a .090" feeler gauge between the disk and pressure plate. That is full release.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

A wee bit late for that... I can repeat the test with my spare clutch, but the engine/trans is in the car. I have the travel to accommodate the 0.090" if it's needed. The pedal stop will be set such that I can't over-extend the TOB. Worst case the clutch wears, pressure plate pivot moves away, and then the clutch won't release 100%. Not that much different than a standard clutch where the finger height eventually rises to the point the clutch won't fully engage. In both instances you have to pull the trans and re-shim the TOB.

Quick Reply: How much throw-out bearing travel to disengage OEM LS6 clutch?